Dessert for breakfast? Yes please! Fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes can be topped with rich chocolate ganache, chocolate chips or maple syrup. Non-dairy whipped cream would also be a fabulous addition!
If you are a chocolate lover like I am, you are going to adore these pancakes. My favorite way to serve them is with vegan chocolate ganache and chocolate chips on top, but vegan butter/maple syrup and vegan whipped cream is also totally delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
What you need
The ingredient list is simple, plus you only need 1 bowl to make them!
- Flour – You can substitute gluten free all purpose flour, or even whole wheat pastry if desired, but I used plain white flour.
- Cocoa powder – Use dutch processed cocoa for best results here, I use this special dark cocoa.
- Baking powder
- Non-dairy milk – I used soy, but other non-dairy milks work as well
- Oil – I used canola, but you can use melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
Tips for the best pancakes
- The most important thing to remember when making pancakes is don’t over mix the batter! If you over mix, the pancakes will be dense and flat instead of fluffy.
- The pancake batter should be thick enough that it doesn’t spread completely flat on the pan. If it’s too thin, add a few tablespoons more of flour and gently mix it. If the batter is too thick, add a little more water or milk.
- If you have leftover pancakes, you can store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or freeze them. I almost always have pancakes in the freezer for quick breakfasts.
Want more pancake recipes?
Vegan Chocolate Pancakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (dutch processed works best here)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil (may also use melted coconut oil or vegan butter)
- Optional: Vegan Chocolate Ganache, for serving
- 3/4-1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Now pour in the soy milk, water, vanilla and oil and stir with a large spoon until combined but be careful not to over mix or the pancakes won't be as fluffy. A few lumps are okay.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil or add a little vegan butter if needed (I have a non-stick griddle that does not require oiling). Drop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan. Cook until bubbles form, then flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with all the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with vegan chocolate ganache, chocolate chips and vegan whipped cream if desired. Vegan butter, maple syrup and chocolate chips is also a tasty serving option.
- May substitute gluten free all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour if needed.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The pancakes also freeze well if you have leftovers.
- Nutritional information is an estimate only and does not include chocolate ganache, syrup or chocolate chips.
*This recipe was first published October 2017, and has been updated with an improved recipe and photos.
Layered a very thin spread of organic strawberrie preserves and 1T plain greek yogurt in between, topped with fresh sliced strawberries and a light dust of powdered sugar on top – Yummm!!
Oh wow! Sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing your fabulous ideas and feedback!
I’ve made these so many times and they always come out great!
That is so awesome! I love it! Thank you for your wonderful feedback!
Wow! Such incredible pancakes! I didn’t make the ganache (didn’t have enough chocolate) but put some coco whip and chocolate chips on top and YUM! Thank you, Nora for another amazing recipe!
Hi Petria. You are welcome! Thanks for sharing your great feedback! I’m glad you loved the pancakes!
First off, these pancakes were AMAZING! they were so chocolaty and moist, basically heaven on earth. Secondly, how much is one serving size? like how many pancakes, thanks again!
Thanks! If you got 14 pancakes, a serving size is 1 pancake. But it will depend on how big or small you make them. Thanks!
No complaints when I’m serving chocolate pancakes for breakfast. A hit for sure!
I don’t usually leave reviews . But this one deserved one.
I used so delicious milk
Enjoy life chocolate chips
King Arthur Gf flour
Amazing . Felt like eating “normal food”! I give it a 10
Thank you, I’m really glad to hear it!
Hi, I ran out of plain flour. Will it work if I use self-raising flour and onit the baking powder? Thank you.
It should work, yes!
How about using apple sauce in replace of the oil?
Eating oil free
Sure! That should work just fine.
Can I use Cacao powder for this? That’s all I buy anymore.
Yes, no problem!
Possible to reduce refined sugar with applesauce Or date sugar?
Thanks so much!
Sure you could try it! Or instead of sugar use a little maple syrup to taste. I think they are good sweet though. 🙂
Great chocolate pancake recipe! These are perfect.
Could I add more milk instead of water?