Dessert for breakfast? Yes please! Fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes can be topped with rich chocolate ganache, chocolate chips or maple syrup. Non-dairy whipped cream would also be a fabulous addition!
If you are a chocolate lover like I am, you are going to adore these pancakes. My favorite way to serve them is with vegan chocolate ganache and chocolate chips on top, but vegan butter/maple syrup and vegan whipped cream is also totally delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
What you need
The ingredient list is simple, plus you only need 1 bowl to make them!
- Flour – You can substitute gluten free all purpose flour, or even whole wheat pastry if desired, but I used plain white flour.
- Cocoa powder – Use dutch processed cocoa for best results here, I use this special dark cocoa.
- Baking powder
- Non-dairy milk – I used soy, but other non-dairy milks work as well
- Oil – I used canola, but you can use melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
Tips for the best pancakes
- The most important thing to remember when making pancakes is don’t over mix the batter! If you over mix, the pancakes will be dense and flat instead of fluffy.
- The pancake batter should be thick enough that it doesn’t spread completely flat on the pan. If it’s too thin, add a few tablespoons more of flour and gently mix it. If the batter is too thick, add a little more water or milk.
- If you have leftover pancakes, you can store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or freeze them. I almost always have pancakes in the freezer for quick breakfasts.
Want more pancake recipes?
Vegan Chocolate Pancakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (dutch processed works best here)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil (may also use melted coconut oil or vegan butter)
- Optional: Vegan Chocolate Ganache, for serving
- 3/4-1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Now pour in the soy milk, water, vanilla and oil and stir with a large spoon until combined but be careful not to over mix or the pancakes won't be as fluffy. A few lumps are okay.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil or add a little vegan butter if needed (I have a non-stick griddle that does not require oiling). Drop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the pan. Cook until bubbles form, then flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with all the remaining batter.
- May substitute gluten free all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour if needed.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. The pancakes also freeze well if you have leftovers.
- Nutritional information is an estimate only and does not include chocolate ganache, syrup or chocolate chips.
*This recipe was first published October 2017, and has been updated with an improved recipe and photos.