Learn how to make the most luscious vegan chocolate ganache with just 2 ingredients and 5 minutes! The perfect dessert or breakfast topping, frosting, cake filling or truffle filling.
Chocolate ganache is a staple recipe for any baker, and this vegan version is so easy to make. It’s totally versatile, and can be used as a drizzle on cupcakes/cake, frosting, cake filling, pancake or waffle topping, ice cream topping, dip or even to make truffles.
You only need 2 ingredients: coconut milk or cream and semi-sweet chocolate.
How to make vegan ganache
- Open a can of coconut milk or coconut cream. Scoop out as much of the thicker, white part as you can. If you need to use some of the liquid to make 1 cup, that is fine.
- Place coconut milk/cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute, making sure it doesn’t bubble over.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate bars) in a medium sized bowl. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth and well combined. The chocolate will melt from sitting in the warm coconut milk.
It will thicken as it cools, and even more in the refrigerator.
You can use it immediately as a drizzle over desserts. Or let it thicken for a few minutes to have a thicker, pourable sauce.
To use as a frosting, let it thicken completely before spreading. You can also use a hand mixer (once it’s thickened and cooled) to whip it up so it has a more even consistency. It will be pipe-able for cupcakes at this point. Enjoy!
Recipes that go with ganache
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake -use instead of the chocolate buttercream frosting
- Vegan Mug Cake – this would be perfect for drizzling on top!
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- Vegan Skillet Cookie -use ganache in place of caramel drizzle
Vegan Chocolate Ganache
- 8 ounces vegan chocolate chips or chopped vegan chocolate bars (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or cream
- Add chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl. If using chocolate bars, chop and place in the bowl.
- Scoop the thick white part from the can of coconut if it's naturally separated. Try to use mostly the thick white coconut cream, but some of the clearer liquid is fine. A can of coconut cream works best.
- Put the coconut milk in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and heat in the microwave for about 1 minute, watching to make sure it doesn’t bubble over.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Don't stir yet.
- After 2-3 minutes, whisk the chocolate/melted coconut milk until smooth. To use as a frosting let it cool completely first, it will thicken up and become spreadable. To make it runnier, you can warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute before using, such as for pancakes, cupcakes, or as a drizzle on a cake.
- There are several brands of chocolate chips that are naturally vegan, so make sure to check the ingredients list for milkfat or butter oil. Trader Joe's brand are vegan, as well as Guittard semi-sweet. It may be easier to find quality vegan chocolate bars, semi-sweet.
- To use as a pipe-able frosting, let it cool in the refrigerator completely until it's thick. You can then use a handheld blender to whip it up a bit, then add to a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes or cake.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also halve or double the recipe as needed.
- Don't have a microwave? No problem! Simply warm up the coconut cream/milk in a small pot until warm but not boiling, then pour it over the chocolate in a bowl and follow the rest of the directions.