How to Make Oat Milk
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Learn how to make homemade oat milk in 5 minutes! No need to buy oat milk at the store when it’s so easy to make at home. It’s creamy, smooth, nut-free, soy-free and delicious!
The best plant milk?
Oat milk became super popular a few years ago, and for good reason. It’s creamy, smooth and delicious in cereal, coffee or for dipping vegan chocolate chip cookies in.
I’m no expert, but from what I’ve read, oat milk might be the most sustainable plant milk out there, using much less water than almond or soy milk. And it’s considerably better for the environment (and the animals) than cow’s milk!
How to make oat milk at home
While there are several great brands you can buy at the store, it’s super easy (and cheap) to make your own at home. All you need are oats, water, and optional sweetener and vanilla. You also need a fine straining nut milk bag or thin dish towel.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Add the rolled oats, COLD water and optional sweetener/vanilla to a blender, high powered preferred. Using cold water will prevent the oat milk from having a slimy texture.
Blend for 30 seconds only, not more. If you blend for longer, it will warm up and your milk might be slimy. We don’t want that!
Strain the mixture through a nut milk bag or thin towel, perhaps even twice to remove nearly all of the sediment. I only strained it once using these fine nut milk bags, but if you have a different kind, you may want to do a second strain.
TIP: Don’t squeeze too hard or try to get every last bit of liquid like you would for almond milk. A gently squeeze is all that’s needed here, or you will end up with an undesirable texture. Be gentle.
How to store oat milk
It will separate in the refrigerator, just like all homemade plant milks, so just give it a shake before enjoying.
It’s possible to freeze oat milk, but it will be a little grainy once frozen. If you are going to throw it in a smoothie or bake with it, it’s probably fine.
More homemade plant milks
How to Make Oat Milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- To a high powered blender, add the rolled oats, cold water and optional sweetener and vanilla. Blend on high for 30 seconds, not longer or your milk may become slimy.
- Gently strain the oat milk through a nut milk bag or thin towel over a large bowl. Don't squeeze too much, a gently squeeze is best. If there is still quite a bit of oat sediment in the bowl, strain it once more.
- Pour into containers and store in the refrigerator for 5-6 days. Separation is natural, so shake before using. It can also be frozen, if needed.
- Use organic rolled oats if possible, and certified gluten free if needed.
- For storage, I like these larger glass milk jugs, or sometimes I use these little glass containers as well.
- Chocolate milk: Add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and more sweetener, to taste. So good!
- Strawberry milk: Add 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries (or 1-2 cups fresh strawberries) and increase the sweetener, to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here