How to Make Cashew Milk – Quickly!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Learn how to make cashew milk at home – no straining or long soak required! You can enjoy this smooth, creamy and rich plant based milk in less than 20 minutes. It tastes so much better than store-bought!
Cashew milk is by far my favorite plant milk. It’s incredibly creamy, rich and neutral tasting plus it doesn’t need to be strained through a nut bag, like almond milk.
Most recipes have you soak the cashews overnight before blending, but I have found that unnecessary. A quick soak in hot water works just fine, especially if you have a high powered blender, such as a Vitamix.
If you’ve ever wanted to make your own nut milks at home, this easy recipe is a great place to start!
How to make cashew milk
This is simply an overview with photos, scroll down for the full, printable recipe.
First, add the cashews to a small pot and cover with about 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let soak for 15 minutes.
Drain the cashews, then add them to a blender along with fresh water and any other optional ingredients.
Blend until very creamy and white, about 1-2 minutes, maybe a few minutes more if you are using a regular blender. Transfer to glass milk jugs or other airtight container and use within 4 days.
- Chocolate – Add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and more sweetener, to taste.
- Vanilla – For vanilla cashew milk, add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, sweetener to taste (I used 2 tablespoons maple syrup) and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Strawberry – Add 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries or 1-2 cups fresh strawberries and more sweetener, to taste.
How to store cashew milk
It will only stay fresh for about 4 days, but it can be frozen. Try freezing the milk in an ice cube tray, then you can throw a few cubes in a smoothie.
Where to use it
Of course, cashew milk is great in cereal, oatmeal or anywhere else you would use milk. Here are some recipes that homemade cashew milk is perfect for:
- Vegan Pot Pie
- Biscuit Topped Chickpea Pot Pie
- Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Vegan French Toast
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Cornbread
Want more recipes featuring the creamy power of cashews?
- 5 Ingredient Vegan Queso
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Cashew Cream
- Vegan Sour Cream Enchiladas
How to Make Cashew Milk – Quickly!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups water
For vanilla cashew milk
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of salt, optional
- Quick soak the cashews: Add the cashews to a small pot and cover with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let soak for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can soak them overnight.
- Drain the cashews, then add them to a high speed blender, along with the 4 cups of fresh water and maple syrup/vanilla, if desired, for slightly sweetened vanilla milk. Or keep it plain if you plan on using it for savory dishes.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until creamy and white. There is no need to strain it through a nut bag, like with almond milk.
- Transfer cashew milk to glass jugs or other airtight container. It will keep for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen. Enjoy!
- For less creamy cashew milk, you can add an extra cup of water. As written it is very creamy, sort of similar to whole milk.
- Sweetener options: I used pure maple syrup, but you can use a few dates, agave or even a little granulated sugar, as desired.
- Chocolate milk: Add 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and more sweetener, to taste. So good!
- Strawberry milk: Add 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries (or 1-2 cups fresh strawberries) and increase the sweetener, to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here