Starbucks Copycat VEGAN Pumpkin Scones – Easy pumpkin scones recipe inspired by Starbucks that taste so much better! They’re soft, perfectly spiced and topped with two delicious glazes.
These vegan pumpkin scones are incredibly moist, soft and full of flavor. You won’t miss the dairy at all, in fact it’s impossible to tell they’re vegan! The same goes for my Vegan Blueberry Scones Recipe.
What makes these pumpkin scones the very best
- Easy to make in 1 bowl – That’s right, the scone dough is made in 1 bowl! This is a fuss free recipe.
- Topped with a vanilla and spiced glaze – Just like Starbucks, I cover the cooled scones in vanilla glaze, then drizzle on a spiced glaze. You can use both or just one, whatever you prefer.
- They stay moist for several days – While some scones dry out quickly, these truly stay moist for at least 3 days. Stick them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh a bit longer, if they last that long!
How to make vegan pumpkin scones
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
The pumpkin scone dough is so easy to make in one bowl!
First, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then cut in the vegan butter using a pastry cutter or your hands, until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Dump in the wet ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed.
Knead a few times on a lightly floured surface, flatten into a circle about 1 inch thick, then cut with a pizza cutter (or knife) into 8 even pieces.
Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 14-16 minutes. While the scones bake, make both the glazes. You can absolutely only use one glaze if you want!
Let the scones cool for at least 15 minutes, then spoon some of the white glaze on each one. Drizzle some of the spiced glaze on top.
More Fall breakfast recipes to love
Starbucks Copycat Vegan Pumpkin Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cold and cut into small cubes or pieces
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or other milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a large baking sheet (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the cold vegan butter, and use a pastry cutter or your hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients. It should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Now dump in the pumpkin puree, almond milk, applesauce and vanilla. Mix with a large wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times until it comes together. Flatten the dough with your hands (lightly flour your hands if sticky). Flatten it into a circle, about 1 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or large knife, cut it like you would a pizza, into 8 pieces (see photos above for reference).
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
To make the glazes:
- For the white glaze, combine the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- For the spiced glaze, combine the powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and milk in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Let the scones cool for at least 15 minutes, then spoon some of the white glaze onto each scone. Drizzle some of the spiced glaze on each scone. Let glazes set before serving.
- This may work with coconut oil that is hard, you can cut it into the dry ingredients the same way.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice mix, for the spice mix use: 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- They will stay moist at room temperature for at least 3 days. They can also be frozen in a freezer bag or container.
This recipe was first published in September 2018. Original photo of this recipe: