A Vegan BLT Sandwich, using the best baked tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo + (optional) avocado and sprouts! Perfect for a quick and easy meal that the whole family will love. (Oil free options)
This is my take on the Vegan BLT, and trust me, it’s delicious! If BLT’s are something you miss since going plant-based, you’ve simply got to give this a try.
The star of this sandwich is, of course, the Tempeh Bacon! And let me tell you, it is every bit as good (better in my opinion) than actual bacon.
What is tempeh and how is it made?
Tempeh is such an interesting meat alternative. Traditionally, it’s made from whole soybeans that are soaked, cooked and slightly fermented. They are then formed into a block. Sometimes it’s made with another bean, and often some whole grains are added, like brown rice or millet.
If you are gluten-free, you have to make sure your tempeh is gluten-free because often, it’s not.
Tempeh is nothing like tofu! Tempeh is hearty, firm and has a stronger flavor than tofu. The taste can be described as kind of nutty, but it does a great job of soaking up the flavor of what it’s marinated or cooked in.
Nutritionally, it’s a very minimally processed food that is high in protein, iron and calcium. In fact, there are 20 grams of protein in half a block of tempeh!
A few things about these Vegan BLT Sandwiches:
- You will need to grab this recipe: Smoky Baked Tempeh Bacon. And maybe this one as well (or use store bought vegan mayo, such as JUST brand: Tofu Vegan Mayo.
- You can use any bread you want, just make sure to check the ingredient list to ensure it’s vegan. I suggest a high quality sourdough for best results. And make sure to toast that bread!
- There are options! Switch up the greens, using iceberg, romaine, baby kale or arugula. Adding avocado and sprouts is my personal fave.
- This makes quite a bit, perfect for my family of 5. If you don’t need this much, feel free to cut the recipe in half, or use the leftover tempeh bacon for something else, such as topping pizza with, yum!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it & leave a comment below. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE EASY, HEALTHY AND TASTY PLANT BASED VEGAN RECIPES!
Vegan BLT Sandwiches made with smoky baked tempeh bacon. Use store bought vegan mayo or make homemade tofu mayo and pile on the lettuce, tomato slices, tempeh bacon and optional sprouts & avocado!
- 1 batch Smoky Baked Tempeh Bacon
- 1 batch Tofu mayo or store bought vegan mayo
- 8-12 slices bread of choice (I used sourdough) *check ingredients to ensure vegan
- 1-2 heads lettuce (use either romaine, iceberg or even baby kale for a change)
- 3-4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- OPTIONAL: avocado slices and sprouts
- For oil free, don't use any oil when baking the tempeh bacon. Also make the tofu mayo instead of using store bought vegan mayo.
- Switch up the greens on this! Try baby kale, arugula or romaine.
- Nutritional information is estimated for 1 sandwich, using tofu mayo. It will vary depending on the bread you use and how much tempeh bacon you use.
- For the sprouts, I use the restaurant style microgreens at Trader Joes.