A Vegan BLT Sandwich, using my smoky baked tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato and optional cashew mayo! Perfect for a quick and easy meal that the whole family will love.
This is my take on the Vegan BLT, and trust me, it’s delicious! If BLT’s are something you miss since going plant-based, you’ve simply got to give this a try.
The star of this sandwich is, of course, the Tempeh Bacon!
What is tempeh and how is it made?
Tempeh is such an interesting meat alternative. Traditionally, it’s made from whole soybeans that are soaked, cooked and slightly fermented. They are then formed into a block. Sometimes it’s made with another bean, and often some whole grains are added, like brown rice or millet.
If you are gluten-free, you have to make sure your tempeh is gluten-free because often, it’s not.
Tempeh is nothing like tofu! Tempeh is hearty, firm and has a stronger flavor than tofu. The taste can be described as kind of nutty, but it does a great job of soaking up the flavor of what it’s marinated or cooked in.
Nutritionally, it’s a very minimally processed food that is high in protein, iron and calcium. In fact, there are 20 grams of protein in half a block of tempeh!
A few things about these Vegan BLT Sandwiches:
- You will need to grab this recipe: Smoky Baked Tempeh Bacon. And maybe this Cashew Mayo as well (it’s in the recipe for my Potato Salad, which would go great with these sandwiches!)
- You can use any bread you want, just make sure to check the ingredient list to ensure it’s vegan.
- There are options! Switch up the greens, using iceberg, romaine, baby kale or arugula. Add avocado, sprouts, red onion slices.
- This makes quite a bit, perfect for my family of 5 and we still have leftovers for 1-2 more sandwiches the next day. If you don’t need this much, feel free to cut the recipe in half, or use the leftover tempeh bacon for something else, such as topping pizza with, yum!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksplantbased on Instagram. Enjoy!
Vegan BLT Sandwiches made with smoky baked tempeh bacon. Use store bought vegan mayo or make homemade cashew mayo and pile on the lettuce, tomato slices and tempeh bacon!
- 1 batch Smoky Baked Tempeh Bacon
- 1 batch Cashew Mayo or store bought vegan mayo
- 8-12 slices bread of choice (I used sourdough) *check ingredients to ensure vegan
- 1-2 heads lettuce (use either romaine, iceberg or even baby kale for a change)
- 3-4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- OPTIONAL: avocado slices, sprouts, red onion slices
Toast your bread if desired, and layer with vegan mayo, tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato and optional avocado, sprouts and/or red onion.
Serve and enjoy! Unless you have a large family like I do, you will have leftovers. Enjoy this again for lunch or dinner the next day, or cut the recipe in half.
- For oil free, don't use any oil when baking the tempeh bacon. Also make the cashew mayo instead of using store bought vegan mayo.
- Switch up the greens on this! Try baby kale, arugula or romaine.
- Nutritional information is estimated for 1 sandwich, using cashew mayo. It will vary depending on the bread you use and how much tempeh bacon you use.