Vegan Fried Rice
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Vegan Fried Rice is better than take out and ready in 20 minutes! A great way to use up leftover rice and the perfect weeknight dinner when you barely have time to cook. No eggs!
What I love about fried rice is how versatile and quick it is to make. Make extra rice one night so you are ready to make this easy dish the next!
Ingredients for fried rice
- Olive oil – Or you could use vegan butter, for sautéing. May use water if needed, for oil-free.
- Tofu – You will need one block of firm or extra-firm tofu. This is for making the tofu scrambled “eggs”.
- Nutritional yeast
- Diced onion AND green onions – May omit the chopped onion if you want, but I like the added flavor.
- Diced carrots – Or use a frozen pea and carrot mix.
- Frozen peas
- Cooked and chilled rice – White or brown are both fine to use, but I prefer white for a more traditional taste.
- Low sodium soy sauce – If using regular soy sauce, use a bit less, to taste. For gluten free, use tamari instead.
- Toasted sesame oil – This takes the fried rice to the next level! You only need a teaspoon for big flavor.
Overview of how to make fried rice
- Make your tofu scrambled “eggs”. In a large pan, crumble in the tofu and cook for a few minutes until most of the water is gone. Then add the nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric and stir constantly, cooking for a few minutes. Transfer to a pan and set aside.
- Back to the pan, add the onion, garlic, carrots and peas and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Now add the cooked and chilled rice, green onions and soy sauce. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tofu scramble. Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil, and add more soy sauce to taste. That’s it!
Frequently asked questions
- What can I use instead of tofu? Another great option is to use a bottle of Just Egg! All you need to do is cook them in the pan as you would scrambled eggs, then set aside on a plate and continue with the recipe, stirring them back in at the end.
- Should I use white or brown rice? I prefer white, but brown works just as well!
- Does my rice need to be chilled first? The recipe will work better with chilled rice, but if you must use warm rice, it’s okay. Make sure it’s not really soggy, rice on the drier side will be better here.
- How can I make sure it’s gluten free? Use gluten free tamari for a totally gluten free dish.
- Can I add more vegetables? Yes, use what you have! Chopped broccoli, cauliflower, sliced zucchini, bell peppers, chopped kale or spinach are all good choices. Cook them along with the peas and carrots until softened.
How to store leftovers + freezing
Leftover fried rice will keep for 3-4 days. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator, then re-warm either on the stovetop in a pot, or in the microwave.
It can also be frozen in a freezer friendly container. Let it thaw overnight if possible before reheating and serving.
How many people will it serve?
This recipe makes 4 large servings, but if you are having it on the side of another dish it will likely serve around 8-9 people.
Want more super quick weeknight meals?
Vegan Fried Rice
Tofu scrambled eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice (white or brown are both fine)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (use tamari for gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Make the tofu scrambled eggs
- Drain the block of tofu (no need to press it). In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then mash the block of tofu right in the pan or crumble it in using your fingers. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes until most of the water is gone.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric and stir constantly for 3-4 more minutes, then transfer the scrambled tofu to a plate and set aside while you make the rice.
Make the fried rice
- To the pan, add an additional 2 tablespoons olive oil and warm over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrots and peas for about 5 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables have softened.
- Now add the cooked and chilled rice, green onions and soy sauce. Fry, stirring often, for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tofu scramble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil. Add more soy sauce to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- To make the recipe even easier, purchase frozen pea and carrot mix.
- Instead of tofu scramble, use a bottle of Just Egg instead! Scramble as you would eggs, then continue with the recipe.
- Add veggies: Feel free to add more veggies, such as chopped broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, bell peppers, kale or spinach. Cook them along with the peas and carrots, until softened.
- Extra protein: Serve with Marinated Tofu or Vegan Chicken (sliced or chopped).
- Add soy sauce to taste; if you are using regular soy sauce you may want to add less so it doesn't end up too salty. You can also have some at the table, so people can choose to add more if they want.
- Fried rice will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days, and can be frozen.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here