These Oven Baked Vegan Meatball Subs are a perfect easy family dinner for busy days, all the kids loved them! Great for parties or game-day food as well.
I made these a few weeks ago for my family, and everybody LOVED them. My picky 10 year old son said they kind of tasted like pizza and devoured the whole sandwich. I’ve made them before, but not this oven baked version.
Baking these vegan meatball subs in the oven takes them to the next level of delicious! The rolls get a little crispy on the outside, but remain super soft on the inside and the non-dairy cheese gets warm and melty… Are you drooling yet?
How do I make Oven Baked Vegan Meatball Subs?
Grab this recipe for chickpea meatballs and make a batch (or 2). I love making 2 or 3 batches of these meatballs at once to freeze and save for other meals, such as with spaghetti. We eat them all the time!
Throw the balls into a pot with your favorite jar of pasta sauce and warm them up, coating them with the sauce.
Fill the rolls, place on a baking sheet, top with non-dairy cheese and bake until warm and the cheese is melted. That’s it!
Can I use homemade vegan cheese for this recipe?
Absolutely! If you don’t want to use store bought vegan cheese or can’t find it at your local store, make a batch of this EASY Stretchy Vegan Mozzarella. It tastes amazing in these vegan meatballs subs, and when I have the time I actually prefer it.
TIP: The very best tasting store bought vegan cheese shreds to me are Daiya’s Cutting Board Collection. The mozzarella is the closest tasting to real cheese I’ve ever had, and that’s what I used in this recipe. I often use this brand for pizza, too if I can find it!
If you are making these for a party or large crowd, you can wrap the individual subs in foil after baking, to keep them warm until people are ready to eat them.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Oven Baked Vegan Meatball Subs
- 1 recipe Chickpea Meatballs
- 6-8 sandwich rolls (check ingredients to ensure vegan)
- 1 jar your favorite pasta sauce (or make your own, about 3 cups)
- 1 bag non-dairy mozzarella style cheese shreds* OR use homemade vegan mozzarella
- Make the Chickpea Meatballs if you haven't already. I like to double the recipe and use 1 batch for spaghetti another night. Or make them ahead of time and freeze for easy weeknight meals.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the chickpea meatballs to a large pot on the stove and cover them with the pasta sauce. Warm over low-medium heat, coating the meatballs with the sauce.
- Fill a roll with meatballs (3-4, depending on the size of your balls). Top with a little more sauce from the pot. Place the rolls close together on a baking sheet and top with non-dairy cheese shreds or homemade mozzarella.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and hot. Remove from oven and serve. Enjoy!
- May use stretchy vegan mozzarella in place of the vegan cheese shreds if desired.