Spaghetti and Easy Vegan Meatballs; a comfort food classic. This is a perfect meal to make every week, or to have in your pocket for a busy weeknight. Better yet, make the meatballs on the weekend so all you have to do is cook some spaghetti and marinara when dinner time rolls around. Either way, I think this recipe will become a staple in your home like it has ours.
So, about these Vegan Meatballs…
I thought about using green lentils, which would have been fine except then I’d have to remember to cook them beforehand, and I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible, since I make it so often AND I have 3 kids (need I say more?). Plus I’ve made vegan meatballs with lentils before and I actually prefer chickpeas.
You can make these either with canned chickpeas or cook some up from dried if you can. Between making hummus often, throwing chickpeas on top of lunch salads and these meatballs, I have chickpeas coming out of my ears these days!! But I don’t mind, they are definitely my favorite bean, so versatile and delicious.
I prefer to bake these in the oven, but you could fry them in a little oil if you wanted.
Ahh… These meatballs are not mushy AT ALL, they have the perfect texture in my opinion. Mushy veggie burger or meatball? No thank you! That has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves!
They are so flavorful, satisfying and just plain amazing on top of some spaghetti with marinara sauce and a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if you can swing it. These vegan meatballs will bring spaghetti night to a whole new level in your home, and the best news is, they are so simple to make.
How to make Easy Vegan Meatballs?
Basically, you make a flax/ water mixture, process (or mash) your chickpeas, mix in some breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, spices and salt, roll into balls and bake for a half hour. While they bake, prepare your noodles and warm some marinara sauce (or make your own from scratch).
Easy and delicious. Your kids will love these meatballs, with no onions or other “scary” vegetables hidden in them. 🙂
Serve with a green salad and a loaf of fresh, crusty bread if desired. Enjoy!
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Want more Vegan Pasta Recipes? Check these out!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Spaghetti and Easy Vegan Meatballs
- 1 pound spaghetti (whole grain preferred, gluten free if necessary)
- 1 25 oz jar your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the ground flax and 8 tablespoons water. Let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the chickpeas.
- In a food processor with the "S" blade, add the chickpeas and pulse until there are almost no whole beans left. If you do not have a food processor, you can mash them by hand with a potato masher. Add the processed chickpeas to the large bowl with the flax/water mixture.
- Now add all the other meatball ingredients to bowl and stir well with a large wooden spoon.
- Roll into balls (about a heaping tablespoon) and place on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, turning about halfway through.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare spaghetti and sauce according to package instructions. When the balls are done cooking, serve by placing spaghetti noodles on a plate, top with a few meat balls and drizzle marinara sauce on top. Serve with crusty bread and a salad if desired.