The Vegan Mozzarella Cheese of your dreams, made with just 5 ingredients and in 15 minutes! SO stretchy, gooey and delicious. Perfect on top of lasagna, pizza or anywhere else you want to use it!
Meet the vegan mozzarella cheese of your dreams! Stretchy, tangy and oh-so-delicious cheese. I love using this mozzarella on pizza and my new favorite place for it is on top of Vegan Lasagna. Oh my goodness, it takes the lasagna to a whole new level of amazing!
My family has pizza night every Friday and I almost always make the dough. It’s kind of a big deal (especially to the kids!) Sometimes I make tempeh sausage crumbles, we always top it with various veggies and until recently we have used some kind of store bought vegan cheese shreds. But we have disagreements on this, which brand is the best. We all have different opinions!
But now, we have this homemade vegan mozzarella, and low and behold, everybody likes it! And I save money, because that vegan cheese is pricey at $5-6 per bag. Woo hoo!
PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
How do you make Vegan Mozzarella?
It’s very easy. First, you soak your cashews in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain them, and add to a high powered blender with all the other ingredients. Blend; the mixture will be very watery. Add to a saucepan like this:
Stir constantly over medium heat. After a few minutes, it will start to get clumpy.
And then all of a sudden it magically turns into smooth, stretchy vegan mozzarella! That’s it, it’s ready to use.
What is tapioca starch and where can I find it?
You can read more about tapioca flour/starch here at Bob’s Red Mill. Tapioca starch and flour are usually the same thing, but not always. It’s made from the crushed pulp of the cassava root.
It’s a white powder and works similarly to cornstarch as a thickener. It’s absolutely necessary and perfect for making this vegan mozzarella. If you don’t see it in your local store, you can order it on Amazon here. It’s pretty inexpensive, and 1 bag will last you a long, long time.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it & leave a comment below. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE EASY AND TASTY PLANT BASED VEGAN RECIPES!
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
EASY Stretchy Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Boil 2 cups of water (I just heat up water in my tea kettle). Pour the water over the cashews and let soak for 5 minutes and up to an hour.
- Drain the cashews, and add them to a high powered blender along with all the other ingredients. Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. It will be very watery at this point.
- Now pour the watery mixture into a small saucepan and bring the heat to medium. Begin to stir with a wooden spoon or whisk.
- After a few minutes, it will begin to get clumpy. Keep stirring, constantly until suddenly it will become super gooey, stretchy, thick and smooth. It will become one big mass of stretchy vegan cheese. Remove from heat as soon as this happens.
- Use immediately on lasagna or pizza, or store in a bowl with a lid for later. For pizza, drop 1-2 tablespoon sized balls onto the crust and pat down a little bit. It will brown in the oven. For lasagna, drop dollops of the cheese all over the top.
- Tapioca starch/flour is essential in this recipe, cornstarch will not work.