Vegan Mint Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Super moist mint chocolate cupcakes with fluffy chocolate mint frosting and an oreo on top! For all the chocolate mint and oreo lovers out there! Dairy free and vegan.
Because sometimes, life requires cupcakes. Need I say more?
These Vegan Mint Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes are anything but health food, so if that’s what your looking for, make sure to check out my recipes page for ideas. I have a lot of them, but I’m of the mindset that occasionally treats are okay, even if they don’t offer any nutritional value. That’s what this is!
I am SUCH a huge lover of all things mint, especially chocolate + mint. I can’t get enough. So with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I knew I had to come up with some sort of chocolate mint recipe. My kids said a big “YES!” to my cupcake idea, so this recipe was born! I had so much fun making these cupcakes a few weeks ago. I hope you love them!
A few things you should know about these cupcakes:
- The frosting is made half and half with earth balance and non-hydrogenated vegan shortening. You can use all earth balance if you want. I’m not a big fan of shortening but it makes for really pretty cupcakes, and the frosting will pipe a lot better with it. For a lighter frosting option, use the recipe for Cashew Vanilla Frosting in this recipe, and add a little peppermint extract.
- If you want to make them really pretty, use pastry bags with different cupcake tips. I literally found a kit on sale for $1.49 at Target a few weeks ago!
- For the oil in the cupcakes, you can use canola oil, melted earth balance or melted coconut oil. If you use coconut oil, make sure to warm your almond milk slightly.
I think these just may be the most delicious cupcakes I’ve ever tasted, so I hope you enjoy them too!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @nora_cooks_vegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Vegan Mint Chocolate Oreo Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or coconut oil melted)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 mint oreos, chopped into pieces
- 12 whole mint oreos, optional for topping
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for a minute or two to curdle.
- Now add the oil, sugar, vanilla and peppermint extracts. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet in batches, about 1/3 at a time, and mix well with a wooden spoon, or a handheld mixer (or stand mixer).
- Gently fold in the chopped up oreo pieces, then pour into prepared cupcake liners evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- With a handheld or stand mixer, beat together the earth balance and vegan shortening on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Melt the chocolate chips by putting them in a small bowl and microwaving in 30 second intervals. Stir and set aside to cool.
- Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat on low speed, then increase to medium. Add the melted, cooled chocolate chips and extracts and beat.
- Now add a few tablespoons of almond milk, until you have a thick but pipe-able frosting.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top with an oreo cookie.
- You can use canola oil, melted earth balance spread or melted coconut oil. If using coconut oil, make sure the almond milk isn't too cold, or it will start to solidify when you try to mix it.
- Try to find non-hydrogenated vegan shortening if possible. Spectrum is a good brand. You can use all earth balance and no shortening if desired, the shortening just makes for prettier, fluffier frosting that holds its shape better.
Recipe inspired by The Cake Merchant.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here