Chocolate Vegan Mug Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
The best chocolate vegan mug cake out there! Super fudgy, moist and perfect anytime you need a chocolate fix, quick! Ready in 1 minute.
What is a mug cake?
This might seem like a silly question, but if you’ve never made one before, you’re probably thinking, “what the heck is a mug cake!?”
A mug cake is literally a single serving cake, made in a mug and cooked in the microwave. Basically the best invention ever!!
I wanted to create a super chocolatey vegan mug cake that was also incredibly simple to throw together when you need a chocolate fix and quick! I was testing the recipe when my twin 10 year olds got home from school one day last week, and they wanted to try making their own. They successfully followed the recipe and couldn’t get over how delicious they turned out! If a 10 year old can do it, I’m confident you can, too. 🙂
How to make a vegan mug cake
It’s so easy. Get a mug out of your cupboard. Add the dry ingredients to it and whisk or stir to combine: flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Now add the wet ingredients: oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Stir with a spoon until combined. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, and microwave for 40-60 seconds. I prefer 40 seconds, because it’s nice and gooey in the middle at that point, but you could cook it a little longer if you want.
Yum, yum. Enjoy immediately as is, or you could add a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for a seriously tasty treat.
Want more vegan chocolate dessert recipes?
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Best Ever Vegan Brownies
- 5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chewy Vegan Brownies
Chocolate Vegan Mug Cake
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking powder to a mug. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Pour in the oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla into the mug with the dry ingredients and stir well with a spoon. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Cook in the microwave for 40 seconds. It will likely be a little undercooked in the middle at this point, which is my preference, but if you want it cooked more, microwave it another 10-20 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
- I think the mug cake tastes best with white flour, but you can use whole wheat flour, or a gluten free flour mix. I wouldn't suggest using all almond or coconut flour.
- You can use natural cocoa powder or dutch processed. Either work fine for this recipe.
- Feel free to substitute coconut sugar for the regular sugar, or lower the sugar amount if you want a less sweet dessert.
- For the oil, you can use canola oil, melted coconut oil, vegan butter or any other oil you prefer. You could also substitute applesauce for oil free, but it will not be quite as rich tasting.
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here