The BEST Chewy Vegan Brownies recipe. These brownies are incredibly chewy, fudgy and delicious. Reminiscent of the boxed brownies of the past, thankfully these are easy to make any time you need a chocolate fix!
These Chewy Vegan Brownies remind me of those boxed brownie mixes I used to eat ALL THE TIME in college. Often me and my friends would make the brownie batter and just eat it straight from the bowl and never even bake them!
The brownie batter will be very thick; this is what makes them super chewy and delicious. So scoop the batter into the pan, it will not pour.
Now press it down evenly with your hands. It will look like this before going in the oven:
There are no beans in these brownies or anything else weird for a brownie recipe. Nope, these are just a good old fashioned, ultimate chewy brownie kind of a recipe. They are also easy enough to make that you may never make brownies from a box again!
What I love about this brownie recipe
- They are totally crowd pleasing!
- The super chewy edges and a crisp top
- The moist and fudgy middle
- They pack a triple chocolate punch with melted chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and more chocolate chips throughout.
Want more vegan brownie recipes? I have plenty to choose from!
- Best Ever Vegan Brownies
- Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Raspberry Brownies
- Coconut Oil Brownies
- Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
Chewy Vegan Brownies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by combining ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to let thicken for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the cocoa, vegan butter, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and water. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until mostly melted, and stir well at each interval. It took me 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the melted chocolate mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Now add the flax egg and mix again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the large bowl and stir until just combined. The mixture will be thick, that's how it should be, this is what will make them chewy. Fold in the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop the brownie batter into prepared pan and press it down evenly with your hands or a spatula. Bake for 25-28 minutes. Let sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting if you can wait that long!
- May substitute applesauce for some or all of the vegan butter if desired.
- May use gluten free flour blend or whole wheat pastry flour in place of all purpose.