The BEST Chewy Vegan Brownies recipe. These brownies are incredibly chewy, fudgy and delicious. Reminiscent of the boxed brownies of the past, thankfully these are easy to make any time you need a chocolate fix!
These Chewy Vegan Brownies remind me of those boxed brownie mixes I used to eat ALL THE TIME in college. Often me and my friends would make the brownie batter and just eat it straight from the bowl and never even bake them!
Kinda gross when I think about the fact there were raw eggs in there, ew! The great thing about making vegan brownies is that you don’t have to worry when you lick the bowl clean (not like I EVER do that…riiiight).
The brownie batter will be very thick; this is what makes them super chewy and delicious. So scoop the batter into the pan, it will not pour.
Now press it down evenly with your hands. It will look like this before going in the oven:
There are no beans in these brownies or anything else “weird” for a brownie recipe; though I do love me some black bean brownies. Nope, these are just a good old fashioned, ultimate chewy brownie kind of a recipe. They are also easy enough to make that you may never make brownies from a box again!
These Chewy Vegan Brownies:
Are crowd pleasing
Have super chewy edges and a crisp top
Have a moist and fudgy middle
Pack a triple chocolate punch with melted chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and more chocolate chips folded in….Mmmmm..
The almond flour gives these brownies an extra chewy quality about them while adding protein and healthy fats, making them a little healthier for all the kids in your life. Whenever I make these they are gone within a day! Give em a try.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Chewy Vegan Brownies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 by 8 baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by combining ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to let thicken for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almond flour or meal, salt and baking soda.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the cocoa, earth balance, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and water. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until mostly melted, and stir well at each interval. It took me 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the melted chocolate mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Now add the flax egg and mix again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the large bowl and stir until just combined. The mixture will be thick, that's how it should be, this is what will make them chewy. Fold in the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop the brownie batter into prepared pan and press it down evenly with your hands or a spatula. Bake for 25-28 minutes. Let sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting if you can wait that long!
- May substitute applesauce for some or all of the vegan butter if desired.
- May use gluten free flour blend or whole wheat pastry flour in place of all purpose.