5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Learn how to make the best homemade Vegan Hot Chocolate in just 5 minutes! Perfectly creamy, chocolatey and rich with just the right amount of sweetness. Totally customizable, too!
There is nothing quite as comforting as sipping a rich, creamy delicious cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day, perhaps while sitting by a warm fire. Ahhh….Bliss.
This vegan hot chocolate is just the easy recipe you need. It’s easy to double, or even triple, if you are serving a crowd, and it’s customizable. For example, I like my hot chocolate a little less sweet than some, but my kids like it pretty sweet, so I give you some options depending on your tastebuds.
You could also add a little peppermint extract and make Peppermint Hot Chocolate, if you’d like. It’s something I do often!
This vegan hot chocolate has everything I love, and I’m quite picky about it! It’s super creamy and rich. It’s perfectly sweetened and very chocolatey. I hope you love it as much as I do!
How do you make 5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate?
It really couldn’t be easier. First, grab your ingredients:
- Almond milk
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate Chips
In a medium sized pot, add the almond milk, cocoa, sugar and chocolate chips. Warm over medium heat, while whisking to combine until the mixture is creamy, smooth and warm. Don’t bring to a boil.
Taste for sweetness; add more sugar if desired. Stir in the vanilla and a tiny pinch of salt.
Pour into mugs, then top with optional non-dairy whip cream or vegan marshmallows!
Where can I find non-dairy whip cream?
Luckily, non-dairy whip creams are popping up all over the place. I can even get it at Target nowadays, it’s the Reddi-Wip brand and they have coconut and almond. But my personal favorite is So Delicious Coco Whip, in the freezer section at Whole Foods and some other stores.
If you can’t find it anywhere, you can make your own coconut whip cream using canned full fat coconut milk.
This 5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate is very forgiving, and many substitutions can be made. Don’t like almond milk or have a nut allergy? Try coconut or soy milk. Use pure maple syrup instead of sugar to sweeten. Do you like your hot chocolate a little less rich? Use less chocolate chips. Want peppermint hot chocolate? Add a few drops of peppermint extract.
Just want 1 cup of hot chocolate? Cut the recipe in half.
You might also enjoy my Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte for another warming beverage!
5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate
- In a medium pot, add the almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar and chocolate chips.
- Turn the heat to medium, and whisk to combine as it warms. The chocolate chips will slowly melt and it will become smooth and creamy. Do NOT bring the mixture to a boil, just heat and whisk until it's warm and smooth, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and a tiny pinch of salt. Taste for sweetness; add 2 more tablespoons for a sweeter drink (my kids prefer it sweeter, while I like it less sweet).
- Pour into mugs and top with coconut whip or vegan marshmallows, if desired. Enjoy!
- I prefer almond milk for this recipe, but any non-dairy milk will work: soy, coconut or cashew are all good choices. Just use unsweetened and unflavored or it will make your hot chocolate too sweet!
- Use organic sugar to ensure vegan. May also use pure maple syrup.
- Chocolate chips or a chopped up dark chocolate bar will work for this recipe. Just read the ingredients to ensure there's no milk. You can also use various flavored vegan chocolate bars, such as peppermint dark chocolate, hazelnut, etc. for variation. My favorite brand is Theo. To make the hot chocolate less rich, simply add less chocolate.
- You can find non-dairy whip cream in all sorts of stores today! My favorite is So Delicious Coco Whip. Or make your own. Trader Joes sometimes has vegan marshmallows.
- This recipe is easy to double, or even triple for a crowd.
- Try adding a few drops of peppermint extract for Peppermint Hot Chocolate, then top with coco whip and crushed candy canes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here