Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies are a supremely decadent dessert that never fails to satisfy! They have a simple brownie bottom, a thick salted caramel middle and a soft, rich chocolate ganache topping.
*Originally, I posted this recipe with the caramel swirled throughout the brownie batter and then baked, but multiple people had problems this way. I changed the recipe to make it even better, and so you can have more consistent results.
Enjoy one of these sticky sweet brownies all by itself or pair it with a scoop of Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream for an even more drool-worthy treat! No matter when or where you plan on serving these brownies, everyone will LOVE these dairy free delights.
Why you’ll fall in love with these salted caramel brownies
- The salted caramel is dreamy! Seriously, you may start having dreams about this sauce! It’s oh so sweet with just a touch of mouthwatering salty flavor. The way it pairs with the homemade brownies is absolute perfection!
- This is a strictly homemade recipe. But don’t worry, they are quite easy to make! Both the brownies and caramel sauce are made from scratch and with lots of love!
- Ready for fall! The salted caramel really seals the deal on the fall flavor. They’re delicious all year round too.
While you could make the brownies, then drizzle with a caramel sauce (like my latest Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce), I went with a caramel similar to the one in my Vegan Millionaire Shortbread, which firms up.
How to make vegan caramel brownies
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
First, make the brownie batter. This is all done in one bowl! See the recipe card for the exact instructions. Stir the melted vegan butter and sugar together, then add the vanilla and milk. Next, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir.
Dump the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top looks done. Don’t over bake or they will get very hard once they cool. Cool the brownies most of the way before topping with caramel.
Next, make the vegan salted caramel on the stovetop. Pour immediately over the brownies, then place in the refrigerator to set for an hour.
Once the caramel is set and chilled, make the ganache topping. You could also just leave off the chocolate topping, if you prefer.
Pour the ganache over the caramel and return to the refrigerator to set. Once set, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, cut into squares and serve.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies stay fresh? In an airtight container at room temperature, these vegan brownies will stay fresh for about 3 days.
- Can I make them gluten free? Yes! You can easily make these brownies gluten free by swapping the all purpose flour for gluten free flour.
- Can I add chocolate chips to these vegan brownies? Yes, just double check the label and make sure they’re vegan before tossing them into the batter. I’ve had luck at Trader Joe’s – their semi-sweet chocolate chips are inexpensive and vegan.
Want more brownie recipes?
- Best Ever Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
- Ultra Fudgy Crackle Top Brownies
- Raspberry Brownies
Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies
Chocolate ganache topping
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut cream or full fat coconut milk, the white part
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling the tops
Make the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the hot melted butter and sugar until well combined, then stir in the vanilla and milk.
- To the bowl with the wet ingredients, add the flour, cocoa (sift it in if chunky), baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined, but do not over mix. The mixture will be quite thick, but just keep going and it will come together.
- Dump the thick brownie batter into the pan and smooth it out with a spatula or your hands. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top looks done. Do not over bake or they will become hard!
- Remove from the oven and let cool most of the way before topping with the caramel layer. You can speed this up by moving them to the refrigerator.
Make the salted caramel
- In a medium saucepan, add the vegan condensed milk, vegan butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir frequently until the butter is melted and everything is well combined.
- Continue to stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir gently for 12-15 minutes until it looks like rich caramel and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Pour immediately over the cooled brownies and place in the refrigerator to cool for 1 hour before topping with the chocolate ganache.
Make the ganache topping
- Add the chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl. Place the coconut milk in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour the warm cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 3 minutes. Don't stir it yet.
- After 3 minutes, whisk together until smooth and creamy. Pour over the caramel topped brownies and return to the refrigerator to firm up.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- May use another dairy free milk, such as oat, coconut or almond.
- Substitute a gluten free flour mix for gluten free brownies.
- You can make your own sweetened condensed milk or buy a vegan version. I like this oat milk brand.