Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies are a supremely decadent dessert that never fails to satisfy! They are sweet, chocolatey and have salted caramel swirled throughout.
Craving more caramel?! As fall quickly approaches, there’s no better time to stock up on all of your favorite ooey gooey caramel recipes! Some of my favorites include 3 Ingredient Caramel Sauce, Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce and Vegan Salted Caramel Skillet Cookie.
Enjoy one of these sticky sweet brownies all by itself or pair it with a scoop of Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream for an even more drool-worthy treat! No matter when or where you plan on serving these brownies, everyone will LOVE these dairy free delights.
Why you’ll fall in love with these salted caramel brownies
- The salted caramel is dreamy! Seriously, you may start having dreams about this sauce! It’s oh so sweet with just a touch of mouthwatering salty flavor. The way it pairs with the homemade brownies is absolute perfection!
- This is a strictly homemade recipe. But don’t worry, they are quite easy to make! Both the brownies and caramel sauce are made from scratch and with lots of love!
- Ready for fall! The salted caramel really seals the deal on the fall flavor. They’re delicious all year round too.
While you could make the brownies, then drizzle with a caramel sauce (like my latest Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce), I went with a caramel similar to the one in my Vegan Millionaire Shortbread, which firms up. It’s almost like candy in the brownies once they bake and cool.
How to make vegan caramel brownies
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
First, prepare the salted caramel. If you’ve never made caramel before, don’t worry, it’s fairly simple! In a medium saucepan, add the vegan condensed milk (you can either buy this, or make your own), vegan butter and brown sugar. Turn the heat to medium high and stir until the butter has melted.
Cook for 12-15 minutes until it looks like rich caramel and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot. Remove from heat and set aside while you make the brownie batter.
Next, make the brownie batter. This is all done in one bowl! See the recipe card for the exact instructions. Stir the melted vegan butter and sugar together, then add the vanilla and milk. Next, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir.
Dump the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out. Pour the caramel over the brownie batter and use a butter knife to swirl it in a bit. Bake for 25-30 minutes and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
- How long will Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies stay fresh? In an airtight container at room temperature, these vegan brownies will stay fresh for about 3 days.
- Can I make them gluten free? Yes! You can easily make these brownies gluten free by swapping the all purpose flour for gluten free flour.
- Can I add chocolate chips to these vegan brownies? Yes, just double check the label and make sure they’re vegan before tossing them into the batter. I’ve had luck at Trader Joe’s – their semi-sweet chocolate chips are inexpensive and vegan.
Want more brownie recipes?
- Best Ever Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
- Ultra Fudgy Crackle Top Brownies
- Raspberry Brownies
Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling the tops
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the salted caramel
- In a medium saucepan, add the vegan condensed milk, vegan butter and brown sugar. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir frequently until the butter is melted and everything is well combined.
- Continue to stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir gently for 12-15 minutes until it looks like rich caramel and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Cover and set aside while you prepare the brownie batter.
Make the brownies
- In a large bowl, stir together the hot melted butter and sugar until well combined, then stir in the vanilla and milk.
- To the bowl with the wet ingredients, add the flour, cocoa (sift it in if chunky), baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined, but do not over mix. The mixture will be quite thick, but just keep going and it will come together.
- Dump the thick brownie batter into the pan and smooth it out with a spatula or your hands.
- Pour the salted caramel evenly over the brownie batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the caramel into the batter a bit.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. The caramel will set as it cools, making them easier to slice neatly.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- May use another dairy free milk, such as oat, coconut or almond.
- Substitute a gluten free flour mix for gluten free brownies.
- You can make your own sweetened condensed milk or buy a vegan version. I like this oat milk brand.