A simple vegan cashew sour cream recipe that is wonderfully rich and creamy, with the perfect amount of “sour”. Use in various ways: on top of chili, in burritos and any recipe that calls for sour cream!
There are several recipes for cashew sour cream out there, so this is really nothing original or new! But, I use it so often in various recipes and I wanted to share how I make it. Most recipes call for you to remember to soak the cashews for 8-10 hours, but I’m here to tell you that is totally unnecessary.
Between trying to run this blog (aka recipe creating, cooking, photographing, DISHES….mostly dishes), and trying to keep track of my three active kids, I’m sorry but it’s highly unlikely I’m going to remember to soak cashews for 8 hours! I’m guessing I’m not the only one…
What do I need to make Cashew Sour Cream?
- Raw cashews
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Ideally, a high powered blender like a Vitamix.
How to soak the cashews to make this sour cream?
Bring a few cups of water to a boil. I use my electric tea kettle for this. Measure your cashews in a measuring cup like this. Pour the boiled water over them to cover. Let them sit for 5 minutes. Drain.
That’s it! They will be soft enough to blend.
Blend with the remaining ingredients until smooth.
How can I use cashew sour cream?
How long will Cashew Sour Cream keep?
- It will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. Store in a small container with a lid, glass preferred.
- You can also freeze this, either in one container or freeze in an ice cube tray, then transfer to a freezer bag for individual portions.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
A simple vegan sour cream recipe that is wonderfully rich and creamy, with the perfect amount of "sour". Use in various ways: on top of chili, in burritos and any recipe that calls for sour cream!
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (whole or pieces)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon squeezed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
Quick soak the cashews: Bring a few cups of water to a boil (I use my tea kettle for this). Add 1 1/2 cups cashews to a measuring cup and pour the boiling hot water on top to cover. Let them soak for 5-10 minutes.
Drain the cashews and add to high powered blender. Now add the remaining ingredients and blend until very smooth.
Transfer to a small container and chill in the refrigerator. The sour cream will keep for about a week. You may also freeze this if desired.
- May also soak the cashews overnight in water. I can never usually remember to do this so I use the quick soak method!
- If you do not have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, you may need to soak the cashews even longer to get a smooth cream.
- Add a can of green chiles to make a green chile sour cream, or some chili powder for variation.