Full of flavor and so simple to make, this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is a wonderfully satisfying vegetarian meal! Best served with avocado chunks, cilantro and cornbread.
Want to impress a crowd with an incredible vegan dish? This chili is the perfect choice! Make a batch of The Best Vegan Cornbread to go with it and you’re set.
How to make it
This chili is so easy to make!
- Saute a chopped onion in a pot with a little olive oil. Add garlic and a large chopped/peeled sweet potato and cook 1 more minute.
- Add spices (chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt) and stir.
- Pour in a can of diced tomatoes, two cans of black beans and two cups of water.
- Stir, bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. That’s it!
Special Tips & Instructions
- How to make it in an Instant Pot: Saute the onion, then the garlic and sweet potato in the Instant Pot, then add the spices. Add the diced tomatoes, black beans and water. Stir, seal and cook for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- How to make in a Slow Cooker: Add all ingredients to slow cooker/crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or 7-8 hours on low.
- Veggie Swaps: Swap butternut squash for the sweet potato for a change (YUM!). You can also add about 2 cups of chopped spinach or kale near the end of cooking for some green goodness.
What to serve with chili
I love this sweet potato black bean chili with chopped avocado, cilantro and green onions. And a side of vegan cornbread, of course! Other options: vegan sour cream, sprinkle of non-dairy cheese shreds, tortilla chips, guacamole, diced red onion, or a scoop of brown rice.
If you want a more traditional, “meaty” chili, make sure to check out my award winning Ultimate Vegan Chili!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, with their juices OR fire roasted tomatoes
- (2) 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Saute the diced onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent, then add in the garlic and sweet potato and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Next add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes along with their juices, drained and rinsed black beans and the 2 cups of water. Stir to combine. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to mash some of the sweet potatoes for a thicker texture, if desired.
- For oil free, simply use water to saute instead of oil.
- May substitute peeled/chopped butternut squash for the sweet potato, if desired. You could also add 2 cups of baby spinach or chopped kale.
- To make in an Instant Pot: Use the saute feature and cook the onion, then the garlic and sweet potato, then the spices just like in the regular instructions. Turn off the Instant Pot for a moment and add the diced tomatoes, black beans and water. Stir, then seal and set the timer to 8 minutes at high pressure. Release pressure manually, and serve with desired toppings.
- To make in a Crock Pot: Add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled to serve a large crowd.
- The chili freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
*The recipe was originally posted February 2017 and has been updated with better photos/writing and recipe March 2020.