Blackberry Pie Bars are one of the best berry filled treats you can make! A fresh and sweet blackberry filling is layered on top of a buttery crust and made even more delicious with a crumbled crust topping. These easy vegan treats are perfect for enjoying before the summer slips into fall!
No matter how you slice them, bars are always easy and delicious desserts that are great for serving to a crowd! They’re easy to portion and serve to kids, grandparents, and everyone in between. If you’re also a baked bar lover, you need to make Vegan Seven Layer Bars, Vegan Chocolate Chip Bars, and Vegan Pecan Bars!
Why are blackberry bars so amazing?
- They really highlight the blackberries. In this simple pie bar recipe, the blackberries are the center of attention. There are no frills or unnecessary ingredients that distract from them, which makes this recipe so trusty.
- It’s such an easy recipe! With pie bar recipes like this one, you have a little room for error. The steps are super easy, but if you accidentally make the crumble topping look messy – who cares!
- You can customize the filling. If blackberries aren’t your favorite, have no fear. You can swap them out for raspberries or blueberries, or a mix of berries. Peaches, apples or cranberries would also work.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will blackberry bars stay fresh? In an airtight container at room temperature, these bars will stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
- Can I freeze blackberry pie bars? Yep, you sure can! This is a nifty way to enjoy truly fresh summer blackberries into the fall and winter. Simply wait for the bars to cool, then store them in a freezer safe food storage container for up to 3 months.
- Can I make these bars using frozen blackberries? While fresh berries are certainly preferred, frozen berries can be used in a pinch if needed. Let them thaw and pat them dry prior to mixing with the other ingredients.
Check out more recipes featuring berries
- Easy Blueberry Crisp
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Raspberry Brownies
- Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Vegan Raspberry Bars
Blackberry Pie Bars
Crust and topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well combined. It will be rather crumbly.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for the topping. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Press the remaining dough evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool while you make the blackberry layer.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the blackberries, sugar, salt, cornstarch and lemon zest/juice to combine.
- Spoon the blackberry mixture of the crust and crumble the remaining dough over the blackberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is golden but not burnt. The blackberry filling should be slightly bubbly.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving. I usually cut off the edges as they will be very firm and chewy. Store leftovers in an airtight container. They also freeze well.
Different fruit? Sure! You could use raspberries or blueberries, or a mix of berries. Peaches, apples or cranberries would also work.
- Gluten free? Substitute a gluten free all purpose flour.