Blackberry Pie Bars are one of the best berry filled treats you can make! A fresh and sweet blackberry filling is layered on top of a buttery crust and made even more delicious with a crumbled crust topping. These easy vegan treats are perfect for enjoying before the summer slips into fall!
No matter how you slice them, bars are always easy and delicious desserts that are great for serving to a crowd! They’re easy to portion and serve to kids, grandparents, and everyone in between. If you’re also a baked bar lover, you need to make Vegan Seven Layer Bars, Vegan Chocolate Chip Bars, and Vegan Pecan Bars!
Why are blackberry bars so amazing?
- They really highlight the blackberries. In this simple pie bar recipe, the blackberries are the center of attention. There are no frills or unnecessary ingredients that distract from them, which makes this recipe so trusty.
- It’s such an easy recipe! With pie bar recipes like this one, you have a little room for error. The steps are super easy, but if you accidentally make the crumble topping look messy – who cares!
- You can customize the filling. If blackberries aren’t your favorite, have no fear. You can swap them out for raspberries or blueberries, or a mix of berries. Peaches, apples or cranberries would also work.
Frequently asked questions
- How long will blackberry bars stay fresh? In an airtight container at room temperature, these bars will stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
- Can I freeze blackberry pie bars? Yep, you sure can! This is a nifty way to enjoy truly fresh summer blackberries into the fall and winter. Simply wait for the bars to cool, then store them in a freezer safe food storage container for up to 3 months.
- Can I make these bars using frozen blackberries? While fresh berries are certainly preferred, frozen berries can be used in a pinch if needed. Let them thaw and pat them dry prior to mixing with the other ingredients.
Check out more recipes featuring berries
- Easy Blueberry Crisp
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Raspberry Brownies
- Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Vegan Raspberry Bars
Blackberry Pie Bars
Crust and topping
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, melted
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the melted butter until well combined. It will be rather crumbly.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for the topping. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Press the remaining dough evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool while you make the blackberry layer.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the blackberries, sugar, salt, cornstarch and lemon zest/juice to combine.
- Spoon the blackberry mixture of the crust and crumble the remaining dough over the blackberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the topping is golden but not burnt. The blackberry filling should be slightly bubbly.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving. I usually cut off the edges as they will be very firm and chewy. Store leftovers in an airtight container. They also freeze well.
Different fruit? Sure! You could use raspberries or blueberries, or a mix of berries. Peaches, apples or cranberries would also work.
- Gluten free? Substitute a gluten free all purpose flour.
I have made these 3 times now (for non vegans) and they always are such a big hit! And it could not be easier to make. Thank you, Nora!
You’re welcome, Shelly! Thank you for the wonderful review!
So delicious! And even easier to make than pie.
Awesome that you loved it! Thanks for your wonderful feedback and review!
Absolutely delicious, really have to restrain myself from eating the whole thing. I made half of the recipe and in it I replaced more than half of the flour with almond flour and had no problem cutting them into squares. I also used monk fruit sweetener. Kindly thank you:)
Hi Carmen. I hear you! I’m glad you love the bars, and that they turned out great for you! Thanks for your wonderful feedback and ideas!
These were so delicious! They were easy to make, looked pretty and tasted great! I used a mix of frozen blackberries, blueberries and strawberries for the fruit layer. Once they cooled completely they were easy to cut and held their shape. I’m going to make them again and put the cut up squares into cupcake liners to serve to a group. Thank you for the great recipe!
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and review, Mimi! I’m so glad you loved the bars 🙂
thank you Nora for another great recipe I made with 2 cups apple and 2 cups blackberries and they came out perfect definitely a winner
You are welcome! Your bars sounds amazing! Thanks for your fantastic feedback and ideas!
If you use regular butter,should you reduce the amount used?
I haven’t tested it with real butter, but you could try only using 3/4 cup to start, then move up to 1 cup if it seems like it needs more.
I rated these as they were in the oven. I cant wait they’re going to be so gooooood
I hope you enjoy every bite!
Yet another hit from you Nora. I made these this afternoon and my husband has just polished a load off. Fabulous flavour. I did use frozen blackberries that I had previously picked and fridged then before cutting. Thank you as always for such fabulous recipes. x
I’m so glad you enjoyed them, thank you so much!!
Nora…these BlackBerry Pie Bars are beyond wonderful. Once again you have created a desert that is so delicious. I served it to a dinner party I was having and had to print out the recipe to 6 of my friends .They we’re so impressed.Thank you for all your wonderful recipes and hard work .You are amazing.Sincerely
Hi Diana. Thank you for your fantastic feedback on the bars! I’m so thrilled that they were a hit at your dinner party! I do put a lot of work into creating my recipes, and appreciate you noticing! That means a lot to me! Wishing you lots of happy cooking!
YUMMY, OH MY YOU HAVE OUTDONE YOURSELF NORA!!!!!!!!
Hi Elizabeth. I’m so happy you love the bars! Thanks for your great feedback!
Have you tried it with frozen blueberries?
I haven’t but I think it will work fine.