Ooey gooey vegan Seven Layer Bars are sprinkled with chocolate chips, marshmallows, nuts, and coconut before they’re finished with a drizzle of vegan sweetened condensed milk. Perfect for the holiday bake sale or any time of year!
Seven Layer Bars (also known as Magic Bars and Coconut Dream Bars) are a sweet lover’s dream. The buttery graham cracker base is sprinkled with layers and layers of chocolate, coconut, nuts, and marshmallows. The finishing drizzle of Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk really makes this dessert taste just as delicious as the classic.
You can usually find these vintage cookie bars at bake sales, around the holidays, or for sale in coffee shops. The original recipe, which you’ve probably seen on the back of any sweetened condensed milk can, is made with dairy. All of us sugar-loving vegans have been missing out until now!
I think you’re really going to have a lot of fun with these cookie bars. Make sure you grab one at the party because they never last long!
What are the 7 layers?
Sweets, sweets, and more sweets! The magic bars have a graham cracker crust and plenty of sweets on top to bring all of the seven layers together. This is what I used:
- Crushed graham crackers (honey free for vegan)
- Vegan butter
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Shredded coconut
- Vegan sweetened condensed milk
Feel free to customize this recipe any way you like. Maybe you’d prefer 4 layer bars or 10 layer bars! It’s a really fun recipe to play with.
How to make vegan 7 layer bars
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Mix the melted vegan butter and graham cracker crumbs together in a bowl. Pour them into your prepared baking pan and press into an even layer.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips, marshmallows, pecans, and shredded coconut evenly over the crust.
Finish by pouring the vegan sweetened condensed milk all over the layers. Use a spatula or spoon to make sure it’s evenly distributed.
Bake until the marshmallows look toasted and the edges turn golden brown. Let them cool in the pan before lifting them out and letting them cool completely. When ready, cut them into 24 small squares and enjoy with plenty of napkins!
Tips and substitutions
- Customize the layers – Add even more or swap the layers for anything you like! Dried cranberries or blueberries, chopped walnuts, peanut butter, vegan white chocolate chips, chopped peanut butter cups, or chopped pretzel pieces would all be delicious.
- Gluten free – The seven layer bars can be made without graham crackers if you’re gluten free. Just replace them with crushed gluten free golden oreos or gluten free gingersnap cookies.
- Vegan butter – Coconut oil can be used if you don’t have vegan butter at home.
- Condensed milk – If you don’t want to make vegan condensed milk, a can of full fat coconut milk will work as a substitute.
- Don’t skip the parchment paper! These bars put the “goo” in gooey and will be quite messy when lifted out of the pan to cut. The parchment paper will make removing the bars really easy while keeping the mess to a minimum.
Storing and freezing magic bars
Store the leftover magic bars in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week.
The bars also freeze well in a sealed container or bag for 3 months. Just let them thaw at room temperature or in the fridge before serving.
Hungry for more vegan cookie bars?
Seven Layer Bars (Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper (trust me, things can get sticky and hard to clean).
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the vegan butter. Once melted, stir in the graham cracker crumbs until combined. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, marshmallows, pecans and shredded coconut evenly over the crust.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top and use a spatula to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Cool completely in the pan before lifting the bars out using the parchment paper. You can stick the pan in the refrigerator to speed the cooling process, if desired.
- Cut in 24 small squares using a very sharp, large knife. The bars will still be very gooey and messy, so serve on a plate with a fork! Store leftover bars in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Gluten free – Substitute gluten free golden oreos or gingersnaps, or graham crackers if you can find them. To make crumbs, simply blitz them in your blender or food processor.
- May use coconut oil instead of vegan butter, if desired.
- Other layers to use: dried cranberries or blueberries, chopped walnuts, vegan white chocolate chips or chopped pretzel pieces.
- The bars can be frozen if desired.