Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Fudgy, chewy, ultra-chocolatey Gluten Free Vegan Brownies that also happen to be oil free! They are easy to make in 1 bowl.
These brownies are a delightful dessert that everyone will enjoy. They are a bit lighter than the Best Ever Vegan Brownies, which are much fudgier and richer. A little more cake-like, but not overly so. They aren’t super sweet, and they have no added oil like vegan butter or coconut oil. But they don’t taste like diet food, I promise!
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Ground flaxseeds – Ground chia seeds may work as well.
- Soy milk – Other milks work too, such as almond, oat, coconut or hemp.
- Applesauce – Unsweetened is best here.
- Granulated sugar – May also use coconut sugar, if desired.
- Almond flour – This is really essential to the recipe since there is no oil used. Without it, the brownies will be very dry and taste fat free.
- Gluten free all purpose flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Flour and also tested them with King Arthur Gluten Free Flour. Both worked well!
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Optional for folding in: non-dairy chocolate chips, walnuts or both!
How to make gluten free vegan brownies
It’s so easy to make them in 1 bowl!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds and soy milk in a medium sized bowl and let sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Now add the applesauce, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined.
- Fold in optionals nuts or chocolate chips. Spread evenly into the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
Want more gluten free vegan desserts?
- Vegan Banana Cream Pie
- Easy Healthy Pie Crust
- Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- Chickpea Blondies
- Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten Free Vegan Brownies
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup soy milk, *or almond/coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar , *or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour, *I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or non-dairy chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper for easy removal of the brownies.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the ground flaxseeds and soy milk. Let them sit for about 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- To the bowl with the flaxseed/milk mixture, add the applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Stir well to combine. Now add the almond flour, gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and stir everything together until just combined.
- Fold in the optional walnuts or chocolate chips (or a mixture of both), if desired.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Let the brownies cool for 15-30 minutes if possible before serving.
- Store leftover brownies covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, in the refrigerator for 4-5 days or freeze them.
- Almond flour is necessary for providing fat and texture since there is no oil/butter involved. There is no good substitution.
- I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour, but other all purpose gluten free flours should work as well. If you aren't gluten free, you can substitute regular flour.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here