Easy creamy vegan tomato soup with a handful of ingredients made quick in the Instant Pot. It’s so smooth and creamy, without any dairy!
I don’t know about you, but we’re still in soup weather here in the Pacific Northwest. There are signs that Spring is coming, but the days are still cool and off-and-on rainy.
I’ve been known to eat soup in the middle of Summer though, and this vegan tomato soup is one recipe that I’ll likely make all throughout the year, because I LOVE creamy tomato soup and it’s super easy and quick to whip up!
What makes this soup creamy?
Cashew cream of course!
Soak some raw cashews in boiling water for 5 minutes, then blend away to create a dairy free “heavy cream”, perfect for making this soup nice and creamy.
What to serve with this soup?
- Vegan Grilled Cheese – daiya brand cheddar is my favorite for vegan grilled cheese, or make your own thick cashew cheese (like this recipe).
- A good chunk of fresh, crusty bread
- Fresh basil
- Add some brown rice to cooked soup to make tomato rice soup
I think you are going to love this instant pot tomato soup! It’s:
Bursting with tomato flavor
& Easy to make
Looking for more soup recipes?
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Vegan Tomato Soup (Instant Pot)
Cashew Heavy Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- Select the "saute" function on Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, onions and carrots, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
- Turn off the saute. Add in the canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, dried basil and salt. Lock the lid and close the pressure valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once it beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the cashew cream. Soak the cashews in hot water for 5 minutes, then drain and add to a blender with the 3/4 cup water. Blend until very smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the lid from Instant Pot. Using an immersion blender, blend until the soup is very smooth. You may also blend it all in a regular blender if desired.
- Taste and adjust, adding more salt if desired, or 1-2 teaspoons sugar to cut down on any acidity.
- Now stir in the cashew cream. You may not use it all, depending on how creamy you want the soup. Or, add a few tablespoons of the cream directly to bowls of soup when serving.
- Top with optional fresh basil, and serve.
Without an Instant Pot:
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions and carrots in the olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, dried basil and salt. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Blend, add cashew cream and serve.
- I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes, because I love the flavor they bring to this soup. You can also use canned whole tomatoes, but make sure to get a decent brand, like Muir Glen or San Marzano. Don't get the cheapest canned tomatoes for this soup, it won't taste right!
- This soup freezes well. Freeze in individual small containers or in large ziplock bags.