Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup with a handful of ingredients and made quick in the Instant Pot. It’s so smooth and creamy, without any dairy!
Cozy and comforting tomato soup is SO easy to make with pantry staples. It’s full of tomato rich flavors, perfectly creamy and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Serve tomato soup with salad, croutons, vegan parmesan cheese, with a scoop of cooked rice added in, or make a batch of stretchy vegan mozzarella cheese for the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
How to make tomato soup in the Instant Pot
- Push the saute button on the Instant Pot (affiliate link, this is the one I have).
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the Instant Pot for a moment, and add the carrots, canned tomatoes, vegetable, basil and salt.
- Stir, then place the lid on, turn the valve to “seal” and cook on high for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes once it beeps, then carefully release any remaining pressure.
Remove the lid, and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. You could also use a regular blender, and blend in batches.
Add 1-2 teaspoons of sugar to cut down on any acidity, and more salt to taste. Then stir in 1/2-1 cup of full fat coconut milk/cream (from a can). For a really creamy soup, you could even use the whole can, but I found anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup is perfect.
If you don’t like coconut or can’t eat it, you could substitute cashew cream. Or simply blend the soup with a cup of raw cashews until smooth. You can also leave out any kind of cream altogether, it just won’t be as creamy of course.
Make sure to check out my Vegan Instant Pot Recipes category for more easy and quick recipes.
More vegan soups you might enjoy
- Easy Vegan Tomato Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Everyday Vegan Lentil Soup
- Easy Vegan Potato Soup
Instant Pot Tomato Soup (Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- (2) 28-ounce cans diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil OR 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2-1 cup full fat coconut milk, optional
- Select the "saute" function on Instant Pot. Add the olive oil and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
- Turn off the Instant Pot for a moment. Add in the carrots, canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil and salt. Lock the lid and close the pressure valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once it beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then manually release any pressure carefully by turning the pressure valve to "venting".
- Remove the lid from Instant Pot. Using an immersion blender, blend until the soup is very smooth. You may also blend it all in a regular blender if desired.
- Taste and adjust, adding more salt if desired, or 1-2 teaspoons sugar to cut down on any acidity.
- Now stir in 1/2-1 cup of full fat coconut milk, to add creaminess and richness to the soup. You can leave it out if desired, or use Cashew Cream instead. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- This soup freezes well. Freeze in individual small containers or in large ziplock bags to freeze flat.
- Use quality canned tomatoes for best results.
*This recipe was originally published in April 2018, and has been updated with new photos and an improved recipe.
I have made this recipe COUNTLESS times and everytime it’s just as wonderful and I receive amazing response from vegans and omnivores. I personally don’t like anything coconut, so I substitute either cashew cream or just any vegan “original” coffee creamer; not vanilla or anything flavored. Give this a try!
Hi Avery. Thank you for taking time to share your fantastic review! I’m glad you are loving the tomato soup! It’s one of my favorites, especially with a toasty grilled cheese sandwich! Happy cooking!
i am a new vegetarian. have tried your vegan split pea soup,the ultimate vegan chili and vegan mushroom bourguignon. All were delicious next is the clam chowder and jambalaya.
your recipes are simple and easy to make specially to a begginer..
thank you you are the best
Thank you so much John, I’m glad the recipes are helpful!
The absolute best tomato soup. Ever. Simple to make and so delicious.
Thank you for sharing your review, Lisa. Glad you love the soup!
Delicious! I added some crushed red pepper and paprika for spice came out great! So easy! Thank you
Sounds wonderful, thank you!
Didn’t this used to have cashew cream in it? We can’t do coconut but I know I’ve made it before.
I think you have probably made my Easy Vegan Tomato Soup, which has cashews in it. You could sub cashews here, and simply blend 1/2-1 cup of raw cashews with some of the soup. Hope that helps!
Yum yum yum! I was wanting some tomato soup and this hit the spot! It was so easy and a big hit in our house! Thanks, Nora!
Absolutely fantastic and wining recipe. Non-vegan partner loved it. Can’t wait to make again soon and keep in meal prep rotation. Great recipe Nora.
Modifications made for those interested: added nutritional yeast, bit of black pepper, garlic salt, & roasted red peppers prior to pressure cooking. After pureeing added cashew cream. Just before serving garnished with fresh thyme since I had tons leftover.
Glad it was good!
So good! It came together quickly and was delicious with vegan cheesy bread sticks. Thanks for another great recipe!
This looks delicious and I want to make it tomorrow!! Do I have to alter the recipe in any way if I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned? Thank you!!!
I’ve never used fresh tomatoes for this soup, so I’m not sure! It should work though. Hope you enjoy!
Can’t wait to try this tomorrow! Don’t have enough carrots, though… any recommendation for substitutions or things to compensate? Thank you Nora!
You could just leave them out or use as much as you have, it will be fine. Hope you enjoy the soup!
Oh this looks so delicious – I love that you’ve used coconut milk 🙂
Just made this for a quarantine work-from-home lunch. This soup is so wonderful and so easy to make! I am sure it will be toddler approved as well! Thank you for an excellent recipe.
Angieade this today with a side on grilled cheese…and it was DEE-LICIOUS!!
My family really enjoyed this soup. I was really looking forward to it tonight and it did not disappoint! I did alter the cream a bit, because I just can’t follow the rules. (I added some garlic & nutritional yeast. Instead of water, I used broth.) I really liked the flavor and texture of the soup. My kids were surprised it tasted so good with the cream. ? It could not be easier to make, either! Win, all around! I served with vegan Caesar salad & some bacon & leftover chicken pieces on the side for the carnivores. Thanks so much for this tasty recipe!
Delicious! I used all the cashew cream. Super creamy!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it, thank you!
this came out so so so good. 5 stars. Totally. Was wicked easy to boot!
I’m so glad it came out great!
So crazy good. Thank you for this recipe! My husband and I loved it.
Hey Nora! I’m so excited to try this! Quick newbie cooking question, is it 28oz total of tomatoes or 2 28 oz cans (56 oz total)? Thanks!
2 cans or 56 oz total or canned tomatoes. Hope you love the soup, thanks!
delish! Thanks for a great easy recipe!
Just made this for the family- it was OUTSTANDING. Perfect recipe for a rainy night. Thank you so much for making a dairy free recipe that was creamy and delicious!
Yay! I’m so glad, thank you!
This was a huge hit with the entire family. I didn’t have fire roasted tomatoes, so I added a roasted red pepper. Delicious!
Great! I’m so glad you enjoyed the soup. Roasted red pepper sounds good, too!
Also, great pictures!
This recipe looks amazing! I love tomato soup with a hearty grain, so I can’t wait to try this out.