This Hawaiian BBQ Vegan Pizza has tasty barbecue tofu pieces, fresh pineapple, homemade vegan mozzarella cheese and more!
Would you believe me if I told you that since going vegan, I’ve developed a bit of an obsession with pizza? That’s right, once I cut out dairy and meat, I enjoyed pizza even more!
I think it’s a common misbelief: If you go vegan or plant based, you have to give up everything you love, like pizza. Well I am here to tell you, that is far from the truth! You can still enjoy the foods you are familiar with that you love, maybe even more so.
I know for me, I used to like pizza (pre-vegan), but I would always feel sick for hours afterwards. Stomach pain, cramps and just a heavy feeling that would take forever to go away. Now, I eat pizza once a week (Friday Pizza Night!), LOVE it, and don’t feel terrible afterwards.
If you want to eat more plant based foods, give this pizza a try! It’s one of my absolute favorites and isn’t lacking in flavor or gooey, cheesy deliciousness.
How do you make Hawaiian BBQ Vegan Pizza?
First, cut 1/2 of a block of tofu into little pieces, toss with a tablespoon of soy sauce and bake for 25 minutes.
Then mix them with a little barbecue sauce, and put back in the oven for 10 minutes. They will look like this when they’re done, all chewy and flavorful:
Now make your Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. You can also skip this and use store bought vegan mozzarella shreds, such as Daiya or Follow Your Heart brand. But this cheese is easy to make and only takes a few minutes; it’s much healthier, too.
All that’s left to do now is to roll out your dough (make your own or buy a pre-made pizza dough).
Spread barbecue sauce on the dough, top with barbecue tofu pieces, dollops of vegan cheese, pineapple and red onion. Bake, slice and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Hawaiian BBQ Vegan Pizza
BBQ Tofu Pieces:
- 1/2 block extra-firm tofu (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
For the BBQ Tofu Pieces:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat tofu dry with paper towels, and cut into very small pieces (1/4 inch). Toss in a bowl with the soy sauce, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, mix in 1-2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes. Set aside. Increase the oven to 425 degrees F.
For the rest:
- Roll out your pizza dough, place it on a pizza pan, and spread with about 1/3 cup of the barbecue sauce. Top with the tofu pieces, dollops of cheese, red onion slices and pineapple.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes, if desired. Slice and serve.
- If you can't have tofu or don't like it, you can use chickpeas (garbanzo beans) instead. Simply bake them in the oven with a few tablespoons of barbecue sauce for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For Gluten Free, I love this pizza crust recipe: Gluten Free Pizza Crust. And make sure to use gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce.
- If you are short on time, buy pre-made pizza dough. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have good ones you can buy, and I'm sure other stores do as well.
- I usually double this recipe, as I have a hungry family of 5, and sometimes 6.