These vegan gluten free waffles are just as delicious as a regular waffle, but with no eggs, milk or gluten! They are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Plus they are so simple to make any day of the week!
You only need 8 ingredients and 1 bowl to make these crispy waffles. No one will miss the gluten, dairy or eggs! I had some picky kids and adults taste test these waffles and they all loved them. They were completely surprised to learn they were gluten free!
Thanks to the addition of almond flour, there is no need for oil in this recipe. The almond flour helps them have a better texture and makes them crisp and flavorful. Plus it gives the waffles added nutrition to help you stay full for hours!
Ingredients Needed (with substitutions)
- Gluten Free Flour – Use a high quality gluten free flour mix. I am loving King Arthur Flour, but Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Flour works great as well.
- Almond Flour – Unfortunately, there is no substitute for this, as it adds needed fat since there is no oil, as well as helping the waffles be fluffy and crispy. If you need nut free, gluten free and vegan waffles, replace regular flour for gluten free all purpose in my Best Ever Vegan Waffles Recipe.
- Baking Powder
- Cornstarch – May substitute arrowroot or tapioca starch.
- Granulated Sugar – Coconut sugar or pure maple syrup works as well.
- Almond Milk – Or use your favorite plant based milk, such as soy, hemp or oat milk.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
How to make them
It’s as easy as mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl, adding the wet ingredients and mixing until combined. Cook in a waffle iron until crispy and golden brown.
How to store leftover waffles
Store leftover waffles in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I usually wrap them individually or store in a covered container. Reheat in the toaster or oven to crisp them back up. Or freeze them for longer! You can then toast a waffle straight from the freezer.
Want more gluten free vegan breakfast recipes?
- The Best Tofu Scramble
- Tofu Bacon
- Oven Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Vegan Omelette
- Simple Vegan Overnight Oats
Vegan Gluten Free Waffles
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Now add the almond milk and vanilla to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Heat waffle iron according to instructions. Once the waffle iron is ready, cook the waffles according to the manufacturer instructions. Spray your waffle iron well with oil to prevent sticking, and allow the waffle to cook fully before opening the waffle maker. If you try to remove it too soon, it may stick.
- Serve with fresh fruit, vegan butter and maple syrup as desired.
- To freeze: Allow the waffles to cool completely. Place in a large freezer bag or container in stacks and freeze. When ready to serve, place waffle either in the toaster or oven until warmed through.
- Make sure to use a quality gluten free flour mix. Oat flour also works quite well, but make sure it is certified gluten free.
- The almond flour is necessary to provide the fat and crisp texture of this recipe. It just won't work the same without it, unfortunately. For nut free and gluten free vegan waffles, try replacing the flour with GF flour in my Vegan Waffles recipe.
- Store leftover waffles in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheat in the oven or toaster oven. They also freeze well.
*This recipe was first published in August 2017 and has been reposted with new photos and an improved recipe.