Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Apple Crumble Pie is gluten free, vegan, and FULL of apple cinnamon goodness. It features my healthier gluten free pie crust, a mix of sweet and tart apples, and an oat/almond flour topping!
I don’t know about you, but I prefer my apple pie with a crumble topping. There is just something so fun and delicious about it! And when an apple crumble pie gets paired with some non-dairy vanilla ice cream, forget it! So, so good.
Now, for this Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble Pie, I use my pie crust, but you could also turn this into an apple crisp by forgetting the pie crust entirely. Or use a store bought vegan pie crust to make it really easy. I’ll leave it up to you. 🙂
Let’s do this!
First, make this Gluten Free Pie Crust.
Make the apple filling by tossing the ingredients together in a large bowl. Let those sit while the oven pre-heats and you make the crumble topping.
Spoon the apples into the prepared crust, sprinkle the crumble topping on, and bake for 45-55 minutes. Use a pie crust shield or make your own like this.
Easy peasy. Make sure you leave enough time to let the pie cool (a couple of hours), as the filling will thicken considerably as it cools and make it a lot easier to slice and serve.
I highly recommend serving with non-dairy vanilla ice cream. I like Trader Joe’s Soy Vanilla and So Delicious Cashew Vanilla. But choose your favorite. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!
*If you want to make this pie oil free, simply omit the tablespoon of oil from the pie crust, and use applesauce in place of the oil in the crumble topping.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble Pie
- 1 Gluten Free Pie Crust (see link in instructions below)
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used a combination of granny smith and pink lady apples), 8-10 cups total
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated preferred)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- The Crust: Prepare the gluten free pie crust, including baking for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- The Apple Filling: In a large bowl, toss together the apples, brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and pure vanilla extract. Set aside while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- The Crumble Topping: In a medium sized bowl, combine the rolled oats, almond flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Now using a small spoon or rubber spatula, mix in the melted coconut oil (or applesauce). The mixture will be thick and crumbly.
- Spoon all of the apple filling into the pie crust, but leave some of the juice in the bowl. This will help the pie not be too watery.
- Now sprinkle the crumble topping onto the apples.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the apples have softened and thickened. Use a pie crust shield to prevent burning, or make one out of foil (link above to see how).
- Let cool for 2-3 hours preferably before slicing and serving, as the time will allow the filling to thicken up quite a bit. Serve with non-dairy vanilla ice cream or coconut whip if desired.
- Cover pie leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days, if it lasts that long!
- For a low fat/oil-free option, replace the coconut oil with applesauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here