This restaurant-worthy Vegan Garlic Bread is completely dairy free! Every soft and golden bite is packed with savory garlicky goodness, vegan butter, and fresh herbs.
Take dinner from good to great with a few slices of homemade Vegan Garlic Bread on the side. It’s easy to make in about 20 minutes and loaded with sensational garlicky flavors and fresh herbs, just like your favorite restaurant version. You can even make it ahead of time or freeze it for later!
Why is this dairy free garlic bread the best?
- Loaded with garlicky goodness. Freshly minced garlic cloves pack every slice of garlic bread with its sensationally savory flavor. Mixed with vegan butter and fresh herbs, the out-of-this-world flavor will always keep you coming back for more.
- It’s soft and heavenly. The secret to the best vegan garlic bread is, well, the bread! I recommend using French or Italian bread because when it bakes, it keeps its soft and fluffy texture on the inside while the crust becomes golden and crispy.
- The ingredients are simple! Not only are they naturally dairy free, but the ingredients in this vegan garlic bread recipe are simple. Most of them may be in your kitchen already.
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Bread – While you can technically use any type of bread, French bread or Italian bread is best for garlic bread. These soft and thick loaves soak in the garlic butter best and become crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside when toasted. If you can’t find French or Italian bread, use a baguette, sourdough, sandwich bread, or slices of your favorite gluten free loaf.
- Vegan butter – Miyoko’s is one of my favorite vegan butter brands, but any brand will work well. You can use homemade vegan butter too. Take the butter out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you start this recipe. Once the butter is soft, it will be easier to stir in the garlic and herbs.
- Garlic cloves – Fresh garlic is the only way to go! Don’t substitute the cloves for more powdered garlic.
- Garlic powder – To enhance the savory garlic flavor.
- Parsley – Fresh parsley is best but you can use dried parsley if that’s what you already have at home.
- Olive oil
How to make vegan garlic bread
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Set it aside while you stir the softened butter, minced garlic, salt, garlic powder, parsley, and olive oil together in a small bowl.
Use a knife to spread a generous layer of the garlicky butter mixture on each bread half.
Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until it begins to turn golden brown.
Once they’re out of the oven, slice each half into smaller pieces for serving. Enjoy while it’s hot!
Serve a slice or two with anything, from hearty scoops of vegan lasagna to comforting bowls of tomato soup. It’s the perfect side dish to serve on Italian night next to vegan pesto pasta, mac and cheese, minestrone soup, and caesar salad.
- Add vegan cheese – Top the garlic butter bread with shredded vegan mozzarella or vegan parmesan cheese before baking.
- Use different herbs – Give it an Italian twist by stirring fresh or dried basil, chives, or oregano in with the butter mixture.
- Gluten free garlic bread – Simply swap the regular bread for your favorite gluten free bread. This recipe from Ela Vegan looks great: Gluten Free Bread Recipe.
Can you make it ahead?
Yes! Spread the butter mixture on the bread as normal, then cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate overnight and bake the next day.
You can also freeze the garlic bread loaves for longer. Bake from frozen when you’re ready to serve, but add an extra 5 to 10 minutes to the bake time.
Want more savory vegan sides?
- The Best Vegan Cornbread
- Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Irish Soda Bread
- Easy Vegan Naan
- Southern-Style Buttermilk Biscuits
Vegan Garlic Bread
- 1 pound French or Italian loaf of bread
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened I prefer Miyoko's
- 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced fresh only!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened vegan butter, garlic, salt, garlic powder, parsley and olive oil. Use a fork or spoon to make sure everything is well combined.
- Spread the garlicky butter mixture generously on each half of the bread.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Great and very easy recipe as always, Nora!
I only had dried parsley on hand so I used that. My vegan butter was quite salty so I decreased the amount of salt called for. I used it on a wide French style loaf- made half for our dinner today and saved half for tomorrow (popped it in the freezer). My non-veg family gobbled it up quickly alongside the vegan “meat sauce” rigatoni I made. SO good and so excited to make the other half tomorrow!
Hi Sarah. Your meal sounds delicious! How great the garlic bread was a hit! Thanks for sharing your fantastic feedback and review!
My husband is lactose intolerant, and he was craving good garlic bread. I made this, and we both loved the great flavor of this bread. We also made Nora’s vegan lasagna, and this garlic bread is the perfect companion for the lasagna. Thank you!
Hi Mary. I am happy to hear that you and your husband loved the garlic bread and lasagna! Thank you for sharing your terrific feedback!
Best garlic bread ever! Thank you so uch, Nora! Your cooking is pure art!
You are welcome! Thank you for your kind words and terrific feedback! I appreciate you using my recipes!
My family LOVED this garlic bread recipe. Normally I broil our garlic bread so this was a different preparation than we usually have and everyone flipped over how good it was. The flavor was great. That is what I love about you Nora. You share family friendly recipes that are easy to prepare and delicious. Thank you.
It’s so great to know that you find my recipes easy and delicious! I want anyone who desires to be able to enjoy delicious food! I appreciate your noticing and mentioning it! Glad the bread is a hit with your family! Thank you for your great feedback!
this was so so good, and so quick and easy to make. my sister has a severe dairy allergy, and we’ve never been able to find a dairy-free alternative of garlic bread for her that she actually likes. she loved this and now it’s her favorite thing ever! i will definitely be making this again.
Hi Emma. I love hearing that my recipes make it possible for people to eat their favorite foods again! Thank you for this with me.