The best vegan apple crisp ever! An easy and comforting dessert that goes perfectly with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts. The fresh, juicy apples…. The crisp, buttery topping…. Served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream… Absolute perfection.
This Vegan Apple Crisp is such a wonderful recipe. It’s easy to make and has the perfect ratio of apples to crisp topping. It makes a LOT so it’s great for potlucks, holidays and large get togethers. I highly suggest you serve it warm with non-dairy vanilla ice cream. There are so many great vegan ice cream options out there now; even Target has a wide selection!
What kind of apples are best to use for Vegan Apple Crisp?
You really can use any kind of apple for vegan apple crisp, but I generally prefer granny smith. They are tart, firm and delicious in this recipe.
Honeycrisp, pink lady, braeburn, jonagold, and golden delicious are all great options as well.
For the topping, you can use either vegan butter or coconut oil. I prefer the flavor of earth balance vegan butter over some of the other options out there, but coconut oil also works well and you can’t taste any coconut.
For either option, make sure it’s softened but not melted.
Can I make vegan apple crisp gluten free?
Yes, you can use a gluten free flour mix in place of the all purpose flour such as Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour. Use this in the apple mixture as well as the topping.
This vegan apple crisp serves about 12 people, so feel free to cut the recipe in half and use a smaller dish if you want. You can also slice the apples instead of chopping them, if preferred. This recipe is quite forgiving and flexible, so have fun!
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
If you liked this Vegan Apple Crisp, you may also like this Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crumble Pie.
Vegan Apple Crisp
For the apple filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 9 X 13 casserole dish with oil.
For the apple filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Make sure the apples are well coated, then transfer to the casserole dish.
For the topping:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt to combine.
- Using clean fingers or a pastry cutter, work the softened vegan butter or coconut oil into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples, and bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Serve with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!
- You can use any kind of apples for this recipes. I used granny smith apples, but I like to switch it up. Sometimes I use honeycrisp, fuji or whatever else I can find.
- You can use vegan butter OR coconut oil for the topping. I suggest earth balance vegan butter, it has a good flavor for baking. I haven't tried this oil-free, but you may be able to replace the oil/butter with applesauce.