Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake features a delicious gingersnap crust and two layers of cheesecake! It’s surprisingly simple to make.
This double layer pumpkin cheesecake is the perfect alternative to pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving or any Fall get-together. It looks fancy without much effort on your part, and is sure to impress!
The gingersnap cookie crust is completely delicious and the double layer filling is light and creamy. Top with vegan whipped cream.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
How to make a double layer pumpkin cheesecake
First, make the cookie crust in a food processor or blender. I used vegan gingersnap cookies ( <— these ones!). Pre-cook it for 10 minutes.
Wipe out the food processor, and use it for the filling as well! Process the vegan cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth, then add 1 cup of it to the cookie crust bottom.
To the food processor with the rest of the mixture, add pumpkin, spices and a little more sugar. Blend until smooth, then add to the top of the white layer. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
You can insert a toothpick in the middle to see if it’s done. If it comes out liquidy and cold cook it a little longer. It will firm up as it cools.
What vegan cream cheese should I use?
I usually use Trader Joes vegan cream cheese, but have used Tofutti and Kite Hill as well. Any of those will work. I don’t recommend homemade cashew cream cheese, results will be quite different.
I love this cheesecake with a cookie crust, especially made with gingersnaps. But you can use a different crust if you would like.
- Replace the gingersnaps with honey-free graham crackers to keep it vegan, or another similar cookie.
- Use gluten free gingersnap cookies, or my Gluten Free Pie Crust to make it gluten free.
- For Oil Free, use my Gluten Free Pie Crust (without the oil) and Kite Hill cream cheese, which is oil free.
Special Tips & Instructions
- Oil Free: Use this Gluten Free Pie Crust without any added oil, and use Kite Hill brand plain cream cheese, as that is the only brand I know of that does not contain oil.
- Gluten Free: Either use gluten free gingersnap cookies for the cookie crust, or my Gluten Free Pie Crust.
- You can top it with my Vegan Whipped Cream or a store bought non-dairy whipped topping, such as SoDelicious or Reddi-whip (look for coconut or almond).
Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- 7 ounces vegan gingersnap cookies (about 1 3/4 cup ground)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the cookies to a food processor and process until it looks like fine crumbs. Add the melted vegan butter and vanilla. Process to combine.
- Press firmly and evenly into a 9 inch pie pan. Wipe out or rinse the food processor because you will make the filling in it as well.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and set aside while you make the filling.
For the cheesecake:
- In the wiped out food processor, add the vegan cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, cornstarch and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Remove 1 cup of the mixture and spread into the bottom of the crust.
- To the food processor with the rest of the white filling, add the pumpkin, spices and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Process until combined and smooth.
- Carefully spread the pumpkin mixture over the white layer, heaping it slightly in the middle.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is almost set. To test, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it is cold and liquidy, bake longer until the center is more firm.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with Vegan Whipped Cream, if desired.
- I used Trader Joe's brand of vegan cream cheese, but any non-dairy cream cheese should work just fine.
- I used a food processor, but a blender works as well.
- In place of the gingersnaps, you could use a similar cookie, such as honey-free graham crackers.
- To make it Oil Free: Use Kite Hill plain cream cheese, as it has no added oil. And my Gluten Free Crust with no oil added.
- To make Gluten Free: Use my Gluten Free Crust.
- You can replace the spices with 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice if desired.
This recipe was originally published in November of 2017. Republished on October 24th, 2019 with new photos and writing.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here