This Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake starts with a gingersnap cookie crust, has two layers of vegan cheesecake perfection, and is topped with coconut whip cream. This just might become a yearly tradition in place of pumpkin pie!
I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. Gaaasp! I’ve admitted it. You know what I’ve always liked about pumpkin pie? The whip cream! Not the pie itself. It’s really the strangest thing: I like pumpkin muffins, cookies, bread, pancakes, waffles; I just don’t care for pumpkin pie!
Anyhow, once I became vegan I started to do a lot more cooking for Thanksgiving (so we would have stuff we could eat!). I have made other pies and desserts, but I have been making this cheesecake for YEARS with little variation. It’s simply the best and it’s hard to mess up. Better yet, you can make it the day before Thanksgiving. No one will ever guess it’s dairy free!
This is not the healthiest of desserts, so if that’s what your looking for, I’m sorry!
This Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake will be a hit if you choose to make it for the holiday, and is a great dessert when you want to impress all the non-vegans in your life!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy, and happy holidays!
Inspired by this recipe
Vegan Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- 7 oz vegan gingersnap cookies (about 1 3/4 cup ground)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (earth balance), melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- coconut whip cream, optional*
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the cookies to a food processor and process until a fine crumb consistency is reached. Add the vegan butter and vanilla. Process to combine. (Alternatively, use a blender to grind the cookies to a crumb, and then mix in the vegan butter and vanilla by hand in a bowl until combined.)
- Press firmly and evenly into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and set aside.
For the cheesecake:
- In a large bowl, add the vegan cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla, cornstarch and lemon juice. Beat with a hand mixer (or standing mixer) until very smooth.
- Remove 1 cup of the mixture and spread into the bottom of the crust.
- Add the pumpkin, spices and 3 tablespoons of sugar to the remaining mixture. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Carefully spread the pumpkin mixture over the white layer, heaping it slightly in the middle.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the center is almost set. To test, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it is cold and liquidy, bake longer until the center is more firm.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whip cream if desired.