Vegan Cheese Grits are creamy, comforting and a staple in Southern cooking! Perfect for breakfast or dinner. Try serving with BBQ tofu and collard greens for an amazing meal!
Cheese grits are one of the best side dishes ever. One of my favorite vegan restaurants in Portland is Homegrown Smoker, where they serve amazing Southern-inspired vegan comfort food such as hushpuppies, tempeh ribs and you guessed it, cheese grits!
This grits recipe is super simple to make, and ready in 30 minutes. It makes a great base for a vegan bowl, and is delicious all on it’s own!
What goes with grits?
- Crispy Baked BBQ Tofu
- 10 Minute Skillet BBQ Tempeh
- Vegan Collard Greens
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- BBQ Jackfruit Pulled “Pork”
Vegan Cheese Grits
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup corn grits *I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- Optional: 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- In a medium sized pot, bring vegetable broth, water, garlic powder and nutritional yeast to a boil.
- Add grits slowly and whisk it in to prevent clumps. Cook uncovered over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter and optional cheese until melted. Add salt to taste as desired. Serve and enjoy!
- You can serve cheese grits as part of breakfast, and it's also great as a foundation for various bowls. Try serving with BBQ Tofu, BBQ Tempeh, Collard Greens, Quick Kale and more.
- The shredded vegan cheese is optional but good. I used Daiya cheddar shreds, but you could also use my homemade Vegan Cheddar.
Hi Nora!! Trying this tonight with some bbq baked tofu and cabbage steaks! My grocery store only had polenta – any suggestions on modification?? Thank you for everything you do – I check your website daily for recipes
Hi! I’m so happy to hear that. Polenta should work okay, it tends to be a little finer but you can follow the same instructions. Sounds just lovely!
Yummy!!! I can’t stop eating this, lol. I used your homemade cheddar cheese and melted it in, sooooo good. Thanks again, Nora!
That sounds amazing! Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback and review!
I going to spend Thanksgiving with Daugher and Grandchildren so they love grits so will try this cheese. I just all your recipes.
That’s sweet, I hope they all love the grits! Thank you!
My boyfriend and I loved these grits! They took a bit longer than 20 minutes (I think my grits are a really coarse grind) but it was so worth it! I added the vegan butter and about a cup of shredded Miyoko’s cheddar cheese before serving. Awesome with Nora’s Collared Greens recipe and BBQ tofu!
I’m so happy you loved the grits! That is one of my favorite meals ever right there. ?
Quick, easy and tasty…. new staple for our house!
That’s so great!!
Which of your faux cheese recipes would you recommend to go with this in place of the store bought shreds.
I would recommend either my vegan cheddar, or my shreddable vegan mozzarella. Here are the links: https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-cheddar-cheese/