Cheese grits are one of the best side dishes ever. One of my favorite vegan restaurants in Portland is Homegrown Smoker, where they serve amazing Southern-inspired vegan comfort food such as hushpuppies, tempeh ribs and you guessed it, cheese grits!
This grits recipe is super simple to make, and ready in 30 minutes. It makes a great base for a vegan bowl, and is delicious all on it’s own!
What goes with grits?
- Crispy Baked BBQ Tofu
- 10 Minute Skillet BBQ Tempeh
- Vegan Collard Greens
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- BBQ Jackfruit Pulled “Pork”
Vegan Cheese Grits
- In a medium sized pot, bring vegetable broth, water, garlic powder and nutritional yeast to a boil.
- Add grits slowly and whisk it in to prevent clumps. Cook uncovered over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter and optional cheese until melted. Add salt to taste as desired. Serve and enjoy!
- You can serve cheese grits as part of breakfast, and it's also great as a foundation for various bowls. Try serving with BBQ Tofu, BBQ Tempeh, Collard Greens, Quick Kale and more.
- The shredded vegan cheese is optional but good. I used Daiya cheddar shreds, but you could also use my homemade Vegan Cheddar.