Easy vegan pepperoni recipe made with vital wheat gluten flour (seitan) and the perfect blend of spices! Perfect on pizza, sandwiches or on a vegan appetizer platter with crackers and dairy free cheese.
I was never a huge meat eater, even in my pre-vegetarian days. But one thing I LOVED was pepperoni pizza! If you are like me and have been looking for a vegan way to re-create this beloved pizza, then you’ve come to the right place.
This vegan pepperoni is quite easy to make and yields a large amount, so you can either freeze some or refrigerate it to use for sandwiches and other meals.
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
What is vegan pepperoni made of?
This vegan pepperoni is seitan based, and made with vital wheat gluten flour. Vital wheat gluten is the natural protein found in wheat, and is often used to make vegetarian meats, as it create a great “meaty” texture.
The other ingredients in this pepperoni are various spices, nutritional yeast, water and tomato paste! The spice mix is what really brings the flavors to life! It’s spicy, salty, peppery and smoky. YUM.
How do I make vegan pepperoni?
The process is quite simple.
Mix the dry ingredients together, then mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
Pour wet into dry and mix, then knead the dough until smooth. Form into logs, wrap tightly in foil and bake for an hour.
Let cool a few minutes, slice and top that pizza!
How should I use vegan pepperoni?
- Pizza, of course, with vegan cheese (or try my EASY stretchy vegan mozzarella).
- Sandwiches- We have been enjoying this all week long on sandwiches for lunch. The kids LOVE it.
- Homemade Lunchables! Pack your kid a fun lunch with vegan pepperoni slices, vegan cheese and crackers.
- Charcuterie board for parties- make your own fun appetizer board with this pepperoni.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until it comes together. It will be like a dough that is pretty rough at this point.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead until smooth. Break into 3 sections and shape each section into logs about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap tightly in aluminum foil, twisting the ends to secure.
- Bake for 60 minutes, placing the foil-wrapped logs directly on the oven racks.
- Remove from oven, unwrap and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice the pepperoni very thin, or thicker if desired. Store extra pepperoni in an air tight container or plastic wrap.
- Use homemade vegan pepperoni on pizza, in calzones, sandwiches or make your kids homemade lunchables with crackers and vegan cheese squares!
- If you shape the log very large, you will need to cook it for closer to 90 minutes. I like to make a few small logs to make smaller pepperoni rounds.