“Chicken” Broccoli Rice Vegan Casserole is ultra cheesy, creamy and comforting. Ready in about 30 minutes and made in 1 pan!
Casseroles are the perfect weeknight meal and this cheesy broccoli rice casserole with vegan “chicken” is my absolute favorite. It’s kid-approved, flavorful, creamy and full of broccoli! No one would guess it’s vegan.
I love the combination of broccoli and cheese, as you can see from this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup or Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Twice Baked Potatoes.
This meal is so easy and quick to make. It only takes about 30 minutes to prepare, and is made with simple ingredients. I have used my Vegan Chicken, but you can substitute chickpeas or use store-bought vegan chikn (Tofurky brand is good).
Want more Vegan Casseroles?
- Vegan Enchilada Casserole
- Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Baked Ziti
- Vegan Lasagna
- Biscuit Topped Chickpea Pot Pie
Chicken Broccoli Rice Vegan Casserole
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 8 ounces vegan chicken, chopped small homemade OR tofurky, see Notes for more options
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, long grain preferred
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy cheddar style vegan cheese, optional
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, optional
- In a large skillet or pot (I used my 12-inch cast iron skillet), sauté the onion and chopped vegan chicken pieces in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Now add the rice, 3 cups of vegetable broth and coconut milk. Stir, and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- Add the broccoli florets once the rice is tender, and an additional 1/2-1 cup more of vegetable broth if the mixture is getting dry. Stir in the vegan cheese as well at this time, if using. Stir, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes until the broccoli softens a bit.
- Season with salt, to taste. Enjoy immediately, or sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs and place under the broiler for a few minutes.
- You can use my homemade seitan Vegan Chicken (you will only need about 1/2 the recipe), or a package of Tofurky brand chikn, OR sub with a can of chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed.
- To sub brown rice for white: It will take a lot longer to cook the rice, about 40 minutes. Add more vegetable broth or water as needed, you will probably need 4-5 cups of broth.
- I used daiya cheddar for this, but you can leave it out or use my shreddable vegan mozzzarella instead.
The recipe itself was tasty, but I don’t know how big your cast iron is, because mine was nowhere big enough. I ended up having to transfer to a pot and made a huge mess.
Hi Kris. I noted in the recipe instructions that I made the casserole in a 12-inch cast iron skillet, and that a large pot could be used instead. Still, I’m glad you liked the flavor!
I had this same problem! I took out my 12in cast iron pan and it wasn’t big enough either. Ended up transferring to my dutch oven. Still a good recipe
I’m glad it all worked out and you loved the casserole! Thank you for sharing, Chloe!
How soupy should this be?
It should not be soupy but it shouldn’t be dry either. Sometimes I have to add more broth if my heat was a bit too high. If it’s really soupy, try turning the heat up a bit.
This was so good! I had some cooked brown rice on hand so I used that instead of cooking new rice. I also used broth soaked soy curls for the chicken and added some chicken seasoning into the soy curls. Even my picky kids enjoyed it. Thank you!
You are welcome, Hannah! How fantastic that you guys enjoyed the casserole! Thanks for taking time to share your wonderful feedback and review!
Thanks for posting your results Hannah! I really wanted to know about using soy curls and brown rice. Thanks for Sharing. Thanks to you Nora for posting this recipe!
This is one of the first vegan recipes my husband and I ever tried!
Now we use this recipe often. I also now use your chicken and your cheddar cheese. Soooo good! Both my girls, 2.5 & 4.5, love it!
Very good. Used soy curls reconstituted with “no-chicken” broth.
So glad you liked it Lauren! Thank you for sharing your terrific feedback!
We aren’t vegan so we subbed chicken, but we have a lot of allergies and can’t use dairy, egg or nuts. This was great for my allergy kids. I was able to make this with ingredients we had at home which was great.
Hi Amy. I’m so glad that you and your family enjoyed the casserole! Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful feedback!