This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is loaded with cheesy goodness and totally dairy free! It’s so thick and creamy and ready in just 30 minutes.
Meet my new favorite soup.
You will not believe how cheesy and yummy this tastes, without any dairy at all! This soup is sure to fool all the non-vegans in your life. It’s thick, cheesy, creamy and rich; but is in fact very nutrition packed and good for you.
I didn’t really care for vegetables until my 20’s (when I woke up and realized that vegetables=life). But I did love broccoli cheddar soup, and really any creamy broccoli soup. I’d buy the cheap canned stuff in college, and later ate it frequently at one popular lunch spot, usually in a bread bowl.
It’s one soup I’ve been trying to come up with the perfect recipe for years now, and it finally came together. I hope you love it as much as I do! My kids have declared this their new favorite soup, and it will be great for packing in a thermos for lunch at school.
How do you make Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup?
I’ve made this recipe as simple as possible!
First, you saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add the vegetables (except the broccoli), cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, spices and vegetable broth.
Once the vegetables are fork tender, blend it all up in batches if needed. Return it the the soup pot, add a little water for a thinner soup if desired, stir in bite sized broccoli pieces and simmer for about 10 minutes, until soft.
Serve with a little non-dairy cheddar cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
What can I serve this soup with?
This broccoli cheese soup is pretty low calorie, so I like to serve it most often with some quality sourdough bread for dipping. But we also like eating it with brown rice or over baked potatoes. Or eat a large salad alongside it for soup and salad.
If you enjoyed this soup recipe, you might also want to check out these recipes:
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1-2 cups water, as needed (see instructions)
- 4 cups bite sized broccoli florets
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- To the pot, add the potato, carrots, cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until fork tender.
- Working in batches if needed, transfer the soup carefully to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Return the mixture back to the pot. If your soup is too thick, add water until a desired consistency is reached (I used 1 cup of water). Add in the bite sized broccoli florets and stir into the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes, until the broccoli is soft and cooked.
- Serve, topping with non-dairy cheddar cheese shreds, if desired. Enjoy!
- If you have a nut allergy, you may make this without the cashews, it just won't be quite as creamy and rich.
- If desired, you may use a immersion blender once the broccoli is cooked to create a creamier broccoli cheese soup without chunks of broccoli florets.