This Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe (No Churn!) is just as simple as it sounds! You only need 5 ingredients to whip up this easy vegan ice cream, plus whatever add-ins you want to mix into it.
While this vegan treat is tasty all by itself, I like to add a little extra something to my scoops! Some of my favorite ice cream toppings include Vegan Salted Caramel, Vegan Hot Fudge, and of course Vegan Whipped Cream!
When I discovered how to make this Heavy Whipping Cream Substitute for the best whipped cream I’ve ever had, I knew I had some magic on my hands. I had the idea to turn it into no churn ice cream and I’m so glad I did!
Dairy free ice cream recipe
I love those two magical words – no churn! To make this easy ice cream recipe, all you need to do is whip together the ingredients (the night before!) and freeze the mixture for a few hours. It’s so wonderfully simple, it just takes a little time.
Even though we’re cutting a corner by not churning this ice cream, we’re not sacrificing any of the flavor or creamy consistency that ice cream should always have. It’s a simple, smooth, and delicious ice cream recipe that you can customize in so many various ways to best satisfy your sweet tooth.
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Soy Milk – Make sure it’s unsweetened with no additional flavors. The sweetness in this ice cream should come from the sugar, not the milk! Another kind of milk will likely work as well.
- Coconut Oil – This is my not so secret ingredient that you need for the heavy whipping cream substitute. Use refined for NO coconut taste! There is no substitute for the coconut oil, sorry!
- Powdered Sugar – Don’t replace this with any other type of sugar. It’s vital not only to the sweetness of the ice cream, but the consistency as well.
- Vanilla Extract – For the best flavor, try to use pure vanilla extract, not imitation.
- Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk – My homemade recipe is what I prefer using (it’s actually really easy to make!), but store bought also works just fine. I often use this sweetened condensed oat milk.
Frequently asked questions
- What mix-ins can I add? Some of my absolute favorites include Vegan Cookie Dough, Vegan Nutella, and Vegan Chocolate Ganache! You can also have fun with ingredients like chopped graham cracker pieces, mini vegan marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, leftover cake pieces, vegan brownie chunks and sprinkles.
- Can I change the flavor of this dairy free ice cream recipe? Yes, and it’s so easy to do! For example, you can make this ice cream mint chocolate chip flavored simply by tossing in some mint extract and mini chocolate chips. You could also use caramel sauce, chopped pretzels, and vegan toffee.
- How long will no churn dairy free ice cream stay fresh? In an airtight container in the freezer, this ice cream will stay fresh for about 3 months.
Want more no bake dessert recipes?
- No Bake Mini Cheesecakes
- Vegan Truffles
- The Best Vegan Ice Cream – This is a churn recipe needing an ice cream maker.
- Peanut Butter Mousse
- Easy 5 Minute Vegan Fudge
- Vegan No Bake Cookies
Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipe (No Churn!)
- The night before: Microwave the soy milk until warm, about 1 minute. Add to a blender along with the melted coconut oil and blend until emulsified on high for a minute or two. It should be creamy, white and thin. Pour into a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Whip it up: Transfer the cream to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment (or a large bowl using an electric mixer, this will not work by hand). Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on high speed for 3-10 minutes, until stiff peaks form similar to heavy whipping cream. Sometimes it takes several minutes to start to thicken, but it will happen. Once it thickens, stop the mixer. It can get too thick and we don't want that.
- Mix in the condensed milk: Gently fold in the condensed milk with a spatula, gently and slowly so it stays light. The condensed milk cannot be warm at all, so if you made your own let it cool completely before adding.
- A mix-ins: Gently fold in any mix ins (I used vegan cookie dough pieces).
- Freeze: Transfer to a loaf pan or other container and freeze for 4-6 hours before scooping and serving. Enjoy!
- You may use another non-dairy milk but soy milk does work the best.
- There is no substitute for the coconut oil. Use refined for no coconut taste. Unrefined will work well but the ice cream will taste like coconut.
- Mix in ideas: mini chocolate chips, mini vegan marshmallows, mint extract, swirl of peanut butter, nutella, cookie butter, leftover cake pieces, vegan brownie pieces, vegan cookie dough chunks or balls, salted caramel sauce, vegan caramel, chopped pretzels, sprinkles, chocolate ganache or vegan hot fudge.