Easy Vegan Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
A simple but delicious vegan potato soup recipe that can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. So creamy, comforting and easy to make!
It’s been a rough couple of weeks at our house. My husband, Alan, had to have his wisdom teeth pulled, and it has been a much harder recovery than we originally thought it would be. Two weeks have passed, and he still can’t chew food. Apparently it’s been more difficult because he’s in his 30’s, and not 17 years old, so says the surgeon!
I have been making every pureed, liquid, soft vegan food I can think of since then! Unfortunately, the ideas for a soft or liquid diet mostly revolve around dairy, such as yogurt, pudding, etc. Well I have veganized the liquid/smooth diet so if you need ideas, ask me! 🙂
In my quest for making delicious, creamy food to give Alan some variety and calories, this Easy Vegan Potato Soup was born! I hadn’t originally planned on posting it, but it turned out so incredibly good and SO easy in the Instant Pot, I knew I had to share it. (Don’t worry, there are instructions for if you don’t have an Instant Pot.)
This vegan potato soup is:
- Easy to make
- SO flavorful
- SO creamy
- Filling & satisfying
Instant Pot or Stovetop?
I’ve included instructions for both! I love my Instant Pot, but you don’t need one to make this recipe. The big difference will be the time it takes until you’re eating! Instant Pot version is done in 9 minutes, whereas you’ll have to cook it for 20-25 minutes on the stovetop. Both pretty fast!
What makes this vegan potato soup so creamy?
The secret to this soup’s awesome creaminess is a can of full fat coconut milk! Trust me, coconut haters, you can’t taste the coconut at all.
I add the whole can, but you could just add a little, or half the can until the soup is as creamy as you like! It’s very customizable.
Want more comforting vegan soup recipes? Try one of these:
Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- Push the saute feature on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion in translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Briefly turn off the Instant Pot, and add the carrots, potatoes, thyme and vegetable broth.
- Give it a little stir, then place the lid on, seal and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
- Release pressure manually, using a towel to prevent any burning. Use an immersion blender, and blend until fairly smooth (you may leave some chunks if you want).
- Stir in the coconut milk. You may use less than the entire can for a thinner, less creamy soup. Season with salt to taste, and serve with chopped chives and fresh bread for dipping, if desired!
Without an Instant Pot:
- Saute the onion and garlic in a large soup pot. Add the vegetables, thyme and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. Pour in the coconut milk, stir, and season with salt to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here