The easiest and most delicious Pulled BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches, made in the Instant Pot! A perfect meal for the middle of summer when it’s too hot to turn on the oven.
Have you guys tried jackfruit yet? I was hesitant for so long, and I don’t know why now! This stuff is pretty incredible and totally drool worthy. When you cook it up a little bit, it shreds really well and resembles pulled “meat”. It’s actually a fruit with little calories, and takes on whatever flavor you mix with it or cook it in. Perfect for BBQ sauce.
I decided to give it a try in the Instant Pot, and what do you know, it turned out pretty great. (Recently I started making it with my homemade Quick and Easy Vegan Barbecue Sauce, but you can use store bought it you want).
My kids give this a big thumbs up, though they’ve never had pulled pork before, so they don’t really get what it’s mimicking! It’s kind of funny with kids who have never really eaten meat, they don’t crave the kind of things some other people do (like bacon, pulled pork, whatever it may be) that have been eating animal products for a long time. So if you are transitioning your family to plant based living, I recommend giving this pulled jackfruit a try!
Here’s how to make Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Jackfruit. First, drain and rinse the canned jackfruit.
Chop off the center “core” portion and discard. (You don’t HAVE to do this, but I don’t like the texture of the harder parts, so I cut most of it off). Place it in the Instant Pot with a cup of water and cook on high for 5 minutes. Then mash it with a potato masher until it looks like this:
Add the barbecue sauce and saute for a few minutes until warmed through. Serve on buns with shredded cabbage.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Jackfruit
- (2) 20 ounce cans young green jackfruit in brine (or water)
- 18 ounces barbecue sauce (See instructions for recipe link)
- 6 hamburger buns (gluten free if needed)
- shredded cabbage
- Prepare your jackfruit: Drain and rinse the canned jackfruit, then chop off the "core" portions and discard.
- Add the jackfruit to the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water. Put on the lid, seal, and set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally, or if you are in a hurry you can manually release the pressure (carefully).
- Drain the jackfruit, and then add it back to the Instant Pot. Mash with a potato masher until it resembles pulled meat (see photo above).
- Make the barbecue sauce following these instructions (unless you are using store bought sauce).
- Add the barbecue sauce to the pulled jackfruit, and turn on the saute feature. Cook for 2-5 minutes until warmed through. Serve on buns with shredded cabbage.