Vegan Beer Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Vegan Beer Cheese comes together in only 10 minutes! No cashews or blender needed. The ultra creamy sauce goes perfectly with pretzel bites and is the ultimate game day comfort food!
But this Vegan Beer Cheese right here, this one wins them all.
Beer cheese is pub food at its best, and no one will guess it’s dairy free. Pair with a batch of these Vegan Pretzel Bites, and you’ll be in snacking heaven!
9 simple ingredients, 10 minutes, 1 pot and NO blender needed. Let’s go!
How to make vegan beer cheese
This is an overview with photos of the process. For the complete, printable recipe, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
It’s so easy! Get out a medium sized pot.
Melt the vegan butter over medium heat, then whisk in the flour.
Slowly pour in the beer and then plant milk, whisking as you pour.
Cook for about 5 minutes, until it thickens a bit. Stir in the spices, salt and pepper.
Add shredded vegan cheese and stir until completely melted and smooth. That’s it!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I make it gluten free? Pretty easy. Substitute a gluten free flour mix for all purpose flour and use gluten free beer.
- What is the best beer for beer cheese? I prefer an ale or IPA. Darker beers will make it a bit more bitter, but use what you prefer.
- Is there a non-alcoholic version? You can use non-alcoholic beer, or use more plant milk in place of the beer.
- What kind of vegan cheese works best? I used Whole Food’s 365 brand of vegan cheddar cheese shreds. LOVE THEM. Violife also works well. Use your favorite brand that you know you like the taste.
Vegan Beer Cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until combined.
- Add the beer slowly to the pot, whisking as you pour. Slowly add the milk as well and whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until it has thickened somewhat. Add the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and stir in.
- Leftover beer cheese will keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Simply reheat and stir before serving. It can also be frozen, but the texture is better fresh.
- Gluten free – I haven’t tested it, but you can likely use gluten free flour in place of the all purpose flour. Use a quality mix, NOT almond flour. And use gluten free beer.
- Without beer – While the beer is essential for that ‘beer cheese’ flavor, you can make it without if needed. Simply substitute 1/2 cup more plant milk. Or use non-alcoholic beer.
- What kind of beer to use – I prefer an IPA or ale for a lighter flavor.
- What milk is best? I used unsweetened almond milk, but soy or cashew are also good choices. Even oat or hemp will work, just make absolutely sure there is NO sweetener or vanilla added.
- What cheese is best? I used Whole Food’s 365 brand of vegan cheddar shreds. Violife also works well, as well as Follow Your Heart or Daiya. Use your favorite!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here