Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
It just isn’t game day without this Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip! It’s a creamy, slightly spicy, and addictive party snack you can prepare and bake in just 30 minutes.
Whether you’re a fan of spicy food or not, I just know you’re going to love this Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip! Deliciously creamy, cheesy, and just the right amount of spicy, it’s the ultimate party dip that’ll make everyone happy.
Have you ever had a vegan jalapeno popper before? If not, you’re missing out! Vegan cream cheese is stuffed into spicy jalapeno peppers, then baked for not-too-spicy and satisfying bites. The crunch from the breadcrumb topping is the cherry on top of this perfect party snack.
This easy vegan dip captures the magic of a classic jalapeno popper in every bite (just like my jalapeno popper mac and cheese!). Plus, because it’s made with a handful of simple ingredients, you can throw this hot and cheesy jalapeno dip together and have it ready to eat before your guests even arrive at the party.
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Raw cashews – Dairy, who? Blended cashew cream is the base of this vegan jalapeno dip. It’s super creamy, cheesy, savory, and thickens up so nicely in the oven. You might be able to substitute vegan cream cheese for the cashew cream, but I haven’t tested it.
- Garlic powder – Grated garlic cloves or roasted garlic works too. Just blend really well to pulverize the garlic.
- Jalapenos – Jarred pickled jalapenos (liquid discarded) are best because the heat is toned down and they offer a slight tang. You can use raw, diced jalapeno peppers but the dip will be spicier.
- Vegan cheddar cheese – The sharp cheddar flavor pairs really well with the savory flavors, but you can use shredded vegan mozzarella or pepper jack cheese instead.
- Breadcrumbs – Or use gluten free breadcrumbs if you need the dip to be gluten free.
- Vegan butter – Melted and mixed with the breadcrumbs to help them crisp and turn golden brown in the oven.
How to make vegan jalapeno popper dip
The #1 step to smooth and creamy cashew cheese sauce is to soak the cashews first.
Pour boiling water over the cashews in a bowl and let them soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain the water when you’re ready to blend.
Add the soaked and drained cashews, water, garlic powder, and salt to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. You really do need a strong blender such as a Vitamix or Blend Tec for creamy blended cashew recipes. If not, your dip will likely be grainy.
Voila! Creamy, cheesy, garlicky cashew cream. This will thicken up and act as the cream cheese in the dip.
Pour the garlic cashew cream into an oven-safe dish. Stir in the jalapenos and vegan cheese shreds.
Stir the breadcrumbs and melted vegan butter together in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the cheese dip. Bake until the dip is warm, bubbly, and golden brown on top. Serve right away with tortilla chips or pretzel sticks and enjoy!
- Chopped vegan bacon (make your own with tofu or tempeh)
- Smoked paprika
- Diced jalapenos
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Lime juice
- Avocado chunks
Frequently asked questions
- Do you serve jalapeno popper dip cold or warm? This ooey gooey dip is best when it’s served hot and fresh from the oven.
- Can you make it ahead of time? Sure! Just assemble the dip in the dish without the breadcrumb topping, wrap in plastic, and store in the fridge for up to 1 day. Give it a quick stir before adding the breadcrumbs on top and baking the next day.
- How long does vegan jalapeno popper dip last? The baked jalapeno dip will last for up to 3 or 4 days when kept covered in the fridge. Reheat in a 350ºF oven until warmed through.
Want more vegan game day recipes?
Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- fresh parsley, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Soak the cashews: Heat up about 3 cups of water in a tea kettle or small pot. Pour the boiling hot water over the cashews and let them soak for 5 minutes. Drain them when ready to blend.
- In a high powered blender, add the soaked and drained cashews, fresh water, garlic powder and salt. Blend until very smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased oven safe dish (9 inch round or 8×8 approximately). Stir in the diced jalapenos and vegan cheese shreds.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the top of the cheese dip.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until warm and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately with chips or pretzel sticks and enjoy!
- I haven’t tried it, but you could probably substitute 2 containers of vegan cream cheese for the cashew cream. I don’t think Violife brand will work because it gets oily when cooked. I like Tofutti brand.
- Gluten free? Substitute gluten free breadcrumbs or even almond flour.
- I used chopped jalapeno pieces from a jar. You may use fresh chopped jalapenos, but make sure to remove some or all of the seeds to prevent it from being too spicy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here