This is my go-to burger recipe and by far the BEST veggie burger recipe! The burgers go well with a variety of toppings and hold together very well, so they can be grilled. These burgers are hearty, satisfying and flavor packed!
Why are these the perfect veggie burger recipe?
In my mind, the perfect veggie burger recipe is easy enough to make (not too complicated).
But most importantly, it’s a veggie burger that holds together so you can pan fry, bake or grill it. It’s moist but not mushy in any way! And it has less beans than most, balanced by veggies and other ingredients to create a lot of texture and flavor.
How do you make veggie burgers?
First, cook your rice if you don’t already have some leftover in the fridge. Gather all the ingredients.
Mash the drained/rinsed black beans in a large bowl, leaving a few beans whole.
Pulse 1 cup of cashews (or other nut/seed) in a food processor until breadcrumb size. Don’t leave these out unless you have to, they add so much texture and you’ll miss them!
Add all the ingredients to the bean bowl and mix well with a large wooden spoon. Shape into patties about 3-4 inch thick.
I usually pan fry these veggie burgers, because I love the golden crust they get when fried, and the oil provides a lot of richness. But don’t worry, they are also excellent baked, so I’ve included instructions for that, too.
These burgers are also totally grill-able! To grill, refrigerate the shaped patties for at least 30 minutes. Then grill for a few minutes on each side.
I think you are going to love these Veggie Burgers. They are:
Hearty & Satisfying
Affordable, with inexpensive ingredients
These veggie burgers go well with a variety of sauces and topping, so be creative or go with the classics like tomato, onion, lettuce, vegan mayo, ketchup and maybe a slice of vegan cheese.
Avocado and arugula is also an excellent combination, or barbecue sauce and grilled onions.
Consider serving with these Super Crispy Fries, or check out some of the other burger/sandwich recipes on the blog:
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @nora_cooks_vegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Best Veggie Burger Recipe (Vegan & Grillable)
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups cooked black beans (2 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup cashews*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsely
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup bread crumbs*
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flax and water. Give it a little stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the drained and rinsed black beans. Mash with a potato masher (or fork) until most of the beans are a paste. Leave about 1/4 of the beans whole.
- Place the cashews in a food processor, and pulse until they are breadcrumb size, NOT a powder. It's okay if a few larger pieces remain. Add to the bowl with the beans.
- Now add the flax/water mix and all the remaining ingredients. Mix very well with a large wooden spoon.
- Using about 1/2 cup per burger, shape into burger patty shapes about 3/4 inch thick.
To cook- Stovetop
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil on the stove over medium heat. Add 4 patties at a time and cook until gold and crispy on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the burgers and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
To cook- Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper. Place the patties on the pan(s) and bake for 20 minutes. Flip, bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven.
To cook- Grill
- For easier grilling, refrigerate the patties for at least 30 minutes. Heat the BBQ to medium high, brush the patties with oil and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve on hamburger buns and any burger fixings you love! Go with the classic: vegan mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickle slices, lettuce, tomato and onion. Or get creative: barbecue sauce, Sriracha vegan mayo, avocado and arugula, etc.
- Almonds, sunflower seeds, or pepitas also work in place of the cashews.
- Use gluten free breadcrumbs/buns if needed.
- These burgers freeze well. Simply wrap individual burgers in tin foil and place in a large ziplock bag.