The simple filling for these Vegan Burritos is made in the Instant Pot. It has brown rice, black beans and even some greens hidden in there! Add some chopped lettuce, avocado, salsa and other optional ingredients and you have an easy weeknight dinner that even the kids will enjoy.
PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE DOES CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
I’m sure other parents can relate. I’ve got to have at least a few meals on hand that I can make with little hands on time or prep. Especially if you have a young baby or toddler, you know what I’m talking about. I actually cook a lot at nap time (especially because I’m usually also trying to take photos for the blog), but sometimes a momma’s gotta rest!
This is one of those meals I just love for this very reason. Not only are they easy and pretty hands off (minus a little prep time), my kids really enjoy assembling their own burritos and eating them!
My husband is happy, too. He usually opts for the burrito bowl and skips the tortilla. Whatever way you decide to go, it will be delicious.
I hope you love these vegan burritos. They’re:
Easy to make
& So tasty!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry. I’ve included instructions for stove top cooking as well.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksplantbased on Instagram. Enjoy!
Easy weeknight dinner to please everyone: Instant Pot Vegan Burritos. The filling is made in the Instant Pot!
- 2-3 tablespoons water for sautéing (or olive oil)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- (1) 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 12 oz medium style salsa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas (10-12 inch) use gluten free if needed
- 2-3 cups chopped lettuce
- 1-2 avocados, sliced or chopped
- Optional: salsa, chopped tomatoes, chopped red or green onion, jalapenos, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese shreds
Press the saute function on Instant Pot. Add the water(or olive oil), onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. If using water, be careful not to burn and add more water as needed. Turn off saute.
Now add all the remaining burrito filling ingredients to Instant Pot, give it a little stir, place the lid on, turn valve to seal and set to high pressure for 24 minutes.
Let pressure release naturally (usually this takes about 10 minutes). Carefully remove the lid and stir. Taste, add more spices or salt if desired.
Spoon some of the mixture onto the centers of the flour tortillas. Add desired amount of lettuce, avocado and other ingredients. Fold two sides over the filling and roll up. *For fun, let everyone build their own burritos, kids especially LOVE this!
In a large pot with a lid, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for a few minutes. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Nutritional calculations include a tortilla and 1/4 of an avocado. The filling itself is only 235 calories per serving (8 servings total).
- Go tortilla-less and make a burrito bowl instead!
- To freeze, fill tortillas with the bean/rice/vegetable mixture, wrap in foil and place in a freezer ziplock type bag.
Want more Mexican recipes? Check these out:
- Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Sheet Pan Cauliflower Fajitas
- Instant Pot Vegan Refried Beans