Creamy and oh-so-satisfying, this Vegan Clam Chowder is easy to make and full of flavor! Ready in just 30 minutes.
How do you make clam chowder vegan?
It’s actually pretty simple! I’ve replaced the clams with hearts of palm (or mushrooms) and instead of dairy, cashew cream. The rest is just vegetables and seasonings.
It may not taste exactly like real clam chowder, but it’s pretty dang good! In fact, I think it’s better than the original. This Vegan Clam Chowder is comfort food to the max.
Special tips and substitutions
- Hearts of palm – I have been loving hearts of palm lately, as you can see from my Vegan Crab Cakes, Beer Battered Vegan Fried Fish and Vegan Scallops. But you can just as easily use chopped mushrooms instead.
- Cashew cream – I think cashew cream gives this soup the most rich and creamy base, but if you can’t have nuts, you could use full fat coconut milk or even an unsweetened vegan creamer instead. Use 1 cup and omit the water.
- Vegan bacon topping – This really rounds out the chowder, and I highly recommend it. You can use any store bought vegan bacon, cooked and chopped, or make my Tempeh Bacon or Tofu Bacon.
Want more hearty vegan soups?
Vegan Clam Chowder
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
Vegan Clam Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour gluten free if needed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can hearts of palm, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Vegan Bacon, optional see instruction #6 for options
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Pour the hot water over the cashews and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. Add them to a high powered blender along with 1 cup fresh water and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top of the vegetables and stir, then slowly pour in the broth while stirring constantly.
- Now add the chopped hearts of palm, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, hot sauce, old bay seasoning, salt, pepper and potatoes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir the cashew cream into the soup. It should now be very creamy. Serve with crackers, fresh chopped parsley and vegan bacon, if desired. Enjoy!
- Feel free to substitute white button mushrooms for the hearts of palm. Both options are wonderful! Simply chop the mushrooms and add to the soup. Or sauté them first with a little salt/pepper to add even more flavor.
- Nut allergy? Substitute cashew cream with 1 cup of full fat coconut milk or other unsweetened vegan creamer instead.
- Freeze it – Vegan Clam Chowder freezes well. I like to freeze soups in individual containers for quick grab and go meals.