Hearty and cozy Vegan Corn Chowder, with potatoes and sweet corn. It’s super creamy, flavorful and easy to make with 9 ingredients and 30 minutes!
Cozy up to a big bowl of this Vegan Corn Chowder, with plenty of tender potatoes and sweet corn. Comfort food at it’s finest! No one will believe it’s dairy free. This chowder is ultra creamy, thick and rich.
You can use fresh or frozen corn, making this a great year round chowder! The best part: It only calls for 9 ingredients and takes just 30 minutes or less to make. Serve with a side salad for a delicious weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy.
How do you make vegan corn chowder thick and creamy?
Since there is no dairy involved, the creaminess of the chowder comes from both potatoes and raw cashews. After you simmer the potatoes, corn and other ingredients, blend a cup of raw cashews with a few cups of the soup (plus nutritional yeast), then return it back to the pot. Stir and you will have a super creamy corn chowder!
SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR FULL INGREDIENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
I do recommend a high powered blender such as a Vitamix to blend the cashews. It is my #1 most used kitchen appliance, and I’m not sure I could live without it!
Here is the creamy mixture (cashews + soup + nutritional yeast) in action:
Allergic to cashews?
If you have a nut allergy, don’t worry! You can leave them out if needed and the soup will still be quite creamy and delicious. You can either make the soup as directed, and then use an immersion blender to blend some of the soup, or throw a few cups of it in a blender and blend then add back to the pot.
You could also substitute raw slivered almonds for the cashews. But the potatoes will make the soup quite creamy by themselves, so it’s okay if you can’t have nuts.
Want more vegan soup recipes?
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- Super Creamy Cauliflower Kale Soup
- Everyday Vegan Lentil Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
Consider making a batch of smoky baked tempeh bacon to crumble on the top of each bowl. Enjoy!
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped small
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped | about 4 medium potatoes
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 1 more minute.
- Now pour in the vegetable broth, smoked paprika, corn and potatoes. Stir. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- To a blender, add the cashews, nutritional yeast and 2 cups of the soup. Blend until very smooth, then add back to the pot and stir. Add salt to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Consider serving corn chowder with a sprinkling of crumbled tempeh bacon. So good.
- Allergic to cashews? Try raw slivered almonds, or just leave them out completely. The soup will still be quite creamy from the potatoes, and you can use an immersion blender directly in the pot, or blend a few cups of the soup and add it back to the pot.
- There is no need to soak the cashews, because the soup will be so hot it will help them blend.