Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This is by far the BEST Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole, ever! The crunchy butter pecan topping is to die for, and no one would guess it’s vegan.
But this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is something entirely different. It’s a classic, must have dish for a holiday like Thanksgiving. It’s sweet, and basically a dessert that passes as a side dish! It’s probably my favorite thing to eat on Thanksgiving, even more than I love mashed potatoes, vegan meatloaf, or vegan pot pie. I enjoy it more than pumpkin pie!
But the funny thing is, as a younger person I hated it. I think that’s because the casseroles I was used to had strange textures and flavors. This sweet potato casserole really is the best, and I get so excited to make it every year. The buttery, crunchy pecan crumble topping is to die for!
How do you make vegan sweet potato casserole?
First, boil 9 cups of sweet potato chunks until fork tender. This casserole makes enough for a crowd of people!
Make your pecan topping by mixing all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl until moist and crumbly.
Drain the potatoes, and add back to the pot. Add the other filling ingredients: coconut milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mash and mix. Spread evenly in a large 9 x 13 casserole dish.
Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes, and bake for 35-45 minutes. Serve immediately, or keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Can I make the sweet potato casserole ahead of time?
If you want to be ahead for Thanksgiving or another occasion, the day before you can make the sweet potato filling. Spread it in the casserole dish and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge. You could also make the topping ahead of time and chill in the fridge until ready to bake.
When you are ready to bake it, simply sprinkle the topping evenly over the top and bake until bubbly and the topping is golden brown. It may take a little longer to cook if you are baking it from the fridge, more like 45-55 minutes.
Bring this vegan sweet potato casserole to your Thanksgiving feast, and watch all the non-vegans devour it with joy. 🙂
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @nora_cooks_vegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 9 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, about 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain, then add them back to the pot or a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- To the large pot or bowl with the cooked sweet potatoes, add the coconut milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mash with a potato masher. Continue to mash or stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Spread the potato mixture in the prepared dish, and smooth it out evenly with a spatula.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, stir all the topping ingredients, except the pecans, together with a spoon. Use your hands if necessary until moist crumbs form. Now mix in the pecans.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping on the sweet potato filling and bake for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly on the edges and the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately!
- May use any large casserole dish for this dish.
- The casserole is best serve right away, or the crunchy topping will soften. You could prep earlier by making the filling, spreading it in the pan, cover and chill until you are ready to bake it. Then simply make and add the topping, and bake until done.
- May use coconut oil in place of the vegan butter. Use softened, but not melted coconut oil for best results. May also use applesauce, but it wouldn't be nearly as tasty!
- May substitute coconut milk for almond, cashew or even soy milk.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here