30 minutes is all you need to make this simple, creamy and delicious Black Bean Soup. Naturally vegan and gluten free.
Today I’d like to introduce you to my favorite black bean soup! This affordable and humble soup recipe is anything but boring, especially served with a variety of toppings. The flavor is spot-on delicious, with the addition of lime juice and cumin. It’s not too spicy, so perfect for kids. But if you’re anything like me, you’ll add a good squeeze of sriracha in your bowl.
My daughter fell in love with the black bean soup at Panera years ago, and loves it when I make it at home. This recipe reminds me of the one they serve there, but much more flavorful. The best thing is that it’s ready to eat in just 30 minutes and is made with simple, everyday ingredients!
How do you make black bean soup creamy?
The trick to making this soup creamy is to blend about 3 cups of the soup in a blender, and then return it back to the pot. You can blend more of it for a creamier, more pureed soup, or leave a lot of texture. To make things even easier you can simply use an immersion blender and blend some of the soup right in the pot, so no need to transfer to a blender. I’ve tested both ways and it doesn’t get quite as creamy with an immersion blender, but both ways are just fine.
What should I serve with black bean soup?
I highly recommend serving with this Cashew Sour Cream.
Other delicious toppings: tortilla chips, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapenos and hot sauce.
This post contains affiliate links.
Want more cozy vegan soup recipes?
- Everyday Lentil Soup
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Kale Soup
- Creamy Red Lentil Lemon Soup with Bok Choy
Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped small
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Cashew Sour Cream
- fresh chopped cilantro
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapenos
- diced tomatoes
- tortilla chips
- hot sauce
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.
- Add the diced carrot and celery, and saute for 1 minute, stirring. Pour in the beans, vegetable broth and cumin. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Blend some of the soup: Put 3 cups of the soup in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender to blend some of the soup right in the pot.
- Add the lime juice, hot sauce and salt to taste. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- This soup freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It makes a great meal prep for a busy week.
- I prefer to blend some of the soup in a blender, as it gets creamier this way. An immersion blender will work fine, but it won't get as creamy. You can also blend more of the soup if you want it pureed without chunks.
- Nutrition calculation is for soup only, not including any toppings.