Curry Chickpea Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Curry Chickpea Salad recipe is so flavorful and comes together fast using canned chickpeas, curry powder, mayo, chutney (or apricot jam), celery, raisins and more. It’s the perfect meal prep for lunches!
Make sure to also check out my Curry Tofu Salad, which tastes just like curry chicken salad! This chickpea salad has a very similar flavor profile, but uses pantry staples instead.
I’m a huge fan of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) and you should be too! They can be utilized in so many tasty ways, like Chickpea Curry, Chickpea Salad Sandwich, Chickpea Tikka Masala, Butternut Squash Curry with Chickpeas, and of course this Curry Chickpea Salad!
Why should you make curry chickpea salad?
- It’s great for serving any time! You can make Curry Chickpea Salad for lunch, for a potluck, a picnic, or really whatever else your heart desires. It also doubles as a delicious side dish for dinnertime. It’s great as a sandwich, wrap, with crackers, or all by itself.
- It’s protein packed. A salad shouldn’t just be light and refreshing – it should also be filling! There are plenty of chickpeas in this flavorful salad that make it really hit the spot. If you eat this Curry Chickpea Salad for lunch, it’ll definitely keep you fueled throughout the day.
- It couldn’t be easier to make! While the ingredients in this salad are bold, the steps are oh so simple. From start to finish, this recipe will take you about 10 minutes (or even less) to whip up. If you’re in a time crunch, this is the recipe for you!
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Chickpeas – You’ll need 2 cans of chickpeas for this recipe. Make sure the chickpeas are drained and rinsed prior to mashing them!
- Vegan Mayo – Having a hard time getting your hands on some vegan mayo? No worries! You can swap it out for vegan yogurt instead, just make sure it’s plain.
- Curry Powder – If you want an extra sprinkle of curry powder in the mix, go ahead and add it! Just be careful not to add too much or it’ll overpower the chutney.
- Mango Chutney – I love using Trader Joe’s mango ginger chutney, but any chutney will work or use apricot jam instead.
- Celery – Leave it out if needed.
- Green Onion – Be sure to finely dice the green onion so you don’t have large chunks of it in the mix.
- Raisins – You can use regular raisins or golden raisins, whichever you prefer.
- Cashews – Roasted cashews are an optional ingredient, but highly recommended if you like a little crunch in your chickpea salad!
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro is such a deliciously fresh add-in to this chickpea salad. It contributes to the overall flavor and creates such a nice herbaceous aroma!
How to make curry chickpea salad
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher (or fork) until chunky and mostly mashed.
Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined.
Serve either in between bread for sandwiches, in a wrap, on a green salad or with crackers. Enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
- How long will vegan Curry Chickpea Salad stay fresh? In an airtight container in the fridge, this salad will stay fresh for up to 4 days. I don’t recommend freezing it.
- How do I serve Curry Chickpea Salad? While you can just dig in with a fork and eat it, this chickpea salad is also delicious when served on a slice of toast as a topping, in a wrap, or in a sandwich. Enjoy it for lunch, as a side dish for dinner, or as an appetizer with crackers.
- What is mango chutney? Mango chutney is a little tart, sweet, and even a touch spicy! Put simply, mango chutney is a very specific type of jam that’s often used in Indian cuisine.
Dig into more of the best vegan salads
- The Best Lentil Salad
- Black Bean Salad with Avocado
- Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Chickpea Salad
- Vegan Egg Salad
Curry Chickpea Salad
- (2) 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo, or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney, or apricot jam
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup roasted chopped cashews, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher (or fork) until chunky and mostly mashed.
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Serve either in between bread for sandwiches, in a wrap, on a green salad or with crackers. Enjoy!
- Leftover chickpea salad will keep for up to 4 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. It does not freeze well.
- Leave out any ingredients you don’t like, such as celery or onions. Add more curry powder and salt to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here