This simple chickpea salad sandwich will become your new favorite lunch! It’s easy to throw together in less than 10 minutes and the leftovers last for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Best served between sliced bread with lettuce, sprouts, tomato slices and mustard.
Vegan chickpea salad sandwich recipe
Do you struggle to know what to eat for lunch? If you’re anything like me, this chickpea salad sandwich will become your new best friend!
It’s ACTUALLY easy to make in about 10 minutes and makes a perfect packed lunch for work or school. Inspired by my Vegan Tuna recipe, but with a different flavor profile. Creamy vegan mayo, fresh (or dried) dill, green onions and a little lemon juice makes a fresh and flavorful spread for sandwiches or wraps.
How to make it
Find the complete recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
Drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas and place in a large bowl. You can also use 3 cups of from-scratch cooked chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). Use a potato masher or fork to mash the beans. You may leave some beans whole if you want, I usually do. Or use a food processor.
Now add chopped celery, green onions, fresh dill, vegan mayo, lemon juice and salt.
Stir until well combined. Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Tips and variations
- Instead of mayo – I alternate using store bought vegan mayo, my homemade cashew mayo, or sometimes unsweetened dairy free yogurt or even a few tablespoons of tahini instead. Cashew cream would also work for creaminess.
- Canned chickpeas vary – Chickpeas vary in terms of how dry they are. If you have extra dry chickpeas you may need to add extra mayo to make it creamy. Or perhaps your beans are quite moist, then you will need less.
- Switch up the veggies – Feel free to omit something you don’t like or have, and add what you do have. Some good add-ins are shredded carrots or chopped red onion.
How to serve chickpea salad sandwich
Salad – Or serve over leafy lettuce greens with other veggies for a delicious and filling salad.
Portable snack -It also makes a great snack with crackers.
Looking for more incredible vegan sandwiches?
- Tempeh Reuben
- Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Chicken Salad
- Vegan BLT
- Curry Tofu Salad (perfect in wraps or as a sandwich)
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- (2) 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion or red onion
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegan mayo or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
For the sandwiches
- tomato slices
- additional vegan mayo
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher (or fork) until chunky. It's okay if some beans are whole.
- Add the celery, onion, dill, vegan mayo and salt. Stir well to combine.
- You can enjoy it right away or cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Assemble sandwiches: Serve in between bread with the toppings you prefer. I like sprouts, lettuce, tomato and a little mustard. Enjoy!