Pumpkin Pasta Bake with Almond Ricotta – A cheesy, creamy, delightful fall dinner, and it’s completely vegan! Gluten free option.
This Pumpkin Pasta Bake is fall comfort food to the max. It features rotini pasta, a creamy pumpkin sauce, almond ricotta and spinach. I also covered it in vegan mozzarella for extra cheesy goodness.
Fancy enough to serve at your holiday table, everyone will love this pasta bake. For another comforting fall recipe, try my Butternut Squash Lasagna.
- Rotini pasta – Or a similar shape, such as penne or even shells would work. Use gluten free if needed.
- Vegan Ricotta – Almond based vegan ricotta is so good, but if you can find it you can substitute Kite Hill’s vegan ricotta.
- Olive oil
- A small onion
- Canned pumpkin puree – I haven’t tried it with fresh, but it would probably work as long as you cook and puree it first. Don’t accidentally use pumpkin pie mix! Not the same thing at all.
- Full fat coconut milk – From the can, not the carton. Use full fat for the creamiest sauce, but if you want to lighten it up you can use light coconut milk or even cashew milk.
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt + pepper
- Baby spinach
- Vegan Mozzarella – optional for topping, you can use either my Shreddable Mozzarella or Stretchy Mozzarella. Or a store bought cheese, I actually used Violife here.
How to make pumpkin pasta bake
First, cook your pasta, then drain it. Prepare the ricotta. Make the quick pumpkin sauce on the stovetop. (For the full ingredient list and instructions, scroll down to the recipe card.)
- In a large casserole dish, add the cooked noodles and the pumpkin sauce. Stir to mix.
- Stir in the baby spinach.
- Add spoonfuls of the ricotta and stir a little, but not too much, leaving chunks of cheese throughout.
- Cover with vegan mozzarella (optional) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
This pumpkin pasta makes the best leftovers, and will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days or so. It can be frozen, though the noodles will soften and be a bit mushy.
Looking for more pasta bakes?
- The Best Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan White Lasagna
- Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Vegan Stuffed Jumbo Shells
- Vegan Baked Ziti
Pumpkin Pasta Bake with Almond Ricotta
- 12 ounces rotini pasta *gluten free if needed
- 1 Recipe Vegan Ricotta
- 2 cups baby spinach, sliced into ribbons
- 1 bag vegan mozzarella cheese shreds *I used Violife
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a large casserole dish with oil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- Prepare the Vegan Ricotta, and set aside.
- Make the pumpkin sauce: Warm a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Stir in the pumpkin, coconut milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- To the prepared casserole dish, add the pasta and pumpkin cream sauce. Stir to mix well, then stir in the spinach.
- Add spoonfuls of the vegan ricotta to the dish, and mix slightly but leave chunks of cheese intact. Cover with vegan mozzarella, if using, and bake for 15-20 minutes until warm and the cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!
- Use gluten free pasta to make sure the dish is gluten free. I used Tinkyada brand rotini.
- Instead of making your own vegan ricotta, you can use store bought vegan ricotta, such as Kite Hill brand.
- For a lower fat sauce, you could substitute light coconut milk, or even unsweetened cashew milk.
- Feel free to simply use the pumpkin cream sauce over cooked noodles and skip the baking! It's so delicious you will want to pour it over everything.