The best Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing (or dip) that’s chunky, creamy and full of tang! Perfect for a vegan wedge salad or dipping cauliflower buffalo wings in!
This dressing/dip is easy to make and delicious to eat! Best of all, it’s made without any store bought vegan mayo, oil or cheese of course.
Similar to my Vegan Ranch Dressing, I use raw cashews to create a creamy texture, along with a few other simple ingredients that give this a real “blue cheese” feel. I think you are going to love it!
How to make it
Start out by soaking a cup and a half of raw cashews, or cashew pieces. Often the cashew pieces are less expensive, so I usually buy them instead of the whole ones. To soften, pour boiling hot water over the cashews (I use my tea kettle) and let them soak for 5-10 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Drain the cashews, then add to a high powered blender, along with 3/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and dried dill and 1 teaspoon of salt. Blend until very smooth and creamy.
Pour the creamy mixture into a large bowl or container, and then crumble 1/4th of a block of firm tofu into the dressing. Stir, then refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, to let the flavors mingle. The little tofu chunks won’t taste like tofu at all, but rather will taste like little chunks of blue cheese!
Tofu: If you want a smooth dressing, simply leave out the tofu.
Cashews: If you have a nut allergy, you could replace the cashews and water with vegan mayo. Of course, it won’t be oil free then, but it will work. Replace the cashews and water with 1 cup of vegan mayo. Whisk in the other ingredients, then crumble in the tofu.
How to make a Wedge Salad
Wash and cut a head of iceberg lettuce into wedges. Make a batch of Baked Tempeh Bacon and crumble it on top, along with diced tomatoes, chives, perhaps avocado chunks and then drizzle blue cheese on top. Delicious!
It’s also perfect for dipping Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings in. However you use it, I hope you enjoy!
Want more Creamy Vegan Salad Dressings?
Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 block firm tofu
- Soak the raw cashew pieces in hot water for 5-10 minutes. I heat up water in my electric kettle and pour it over the cashews to soak.
- Drain the cashews and add to a high powered blender. Now add 3/4 cup fresh water, the white vinegar, lemon juice, onion powder, dill and salt, and blend until very smooth and creamy.
- Pour the creamy mixture from the blender into a bowl (or a covered container for the refrigerator). Pat the tofu dry with paper towels, and then crumble into the dressing. Stir gently to mix, and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes before serving, so the flavors can mingle together.
- Serve as a dressing for salads, or a dip for vegetables or buffalo cauliflower wings. It will thicken in the refrigerator, so simply thin it with a few tablespoons of water before using if desired. It will stay good for 5-6 days, and it is freezable. Enjoy!
- You really need a high powered blender such as a Vitamix to make this dressing taste good. If you don't have one, I would substitute 1 cup of vegan mayo for the cashews and water. Then you can simply whisk the ingredients together in a bowl, then add in the crumbled tofu.
- To make a wedge salad, slice a head of iceberg lettuce into wedges. Make a batch of Tempeh Bacon, then crumble it on top of the lettuce along with diced tomatoes, chives, avocados and drizzle blue cheese on top.