The filling for these Vegan Chik’n Burritos is made on a sheet pan, making this recipe an easy weeknight meal that will please everyone! No store bought fake meat required.
If you’ve tried my Vegan Butter Chicken, you will know how delicious this way of baking tofu in the oven can be. It really does taste a lot like chicken! I’ve put a Mexican spin on it and I think you are going to fall in love.
You can make burritos using flour tortillas OR add it to a burrito bowl, either way is perfectly delicious depending on your mood. If you are making this for more than 3 people, I recommend doubling the recipe. It will also go further if you serve with rice, beans and other fillings/toppings.
How to press tofu, the easy way
Tofu that has been packed in water usually needs to be pressed before using to remove the excess water. It will hold it’s shape better with the extra water removed and become more stable for cooking. You can avoid all of this by purchasing the super-firm tofu that is vacuum packed.
I don’t own a tofu press, so this is how I do it: Remove the tofu from the package and wrap in paper towels or a clean tea towel. Set it on a plate or on the counter, and place a plate on top. Next, add a few heavy books or better yet, a heavy cast iron pan. I find I really only need about 20 minutes of pressing time.
How to make Sheet Pan Burritos
While your tofu presses, slice the peppers and prepare any additional fillings you’d like such as rice, beans, etc.
Rip the tofu into bite sized pieces and add to a large ziplock bag with a little olive oil, cornstarch, salt, chili powder and onion powder. Shake gently to coat the tofu. Arrange on the pan, along with the bell peppers.
Bake for 30 minutes, until the tofu is crisp and golden, and the peppers are a little charred.
Additional burrito fillings
- White or brown rice, cooked
- Black or pinto beans
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Vegan Nacho Cheese or Nut Free Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Lettuce, tomatoes or avocado chunks
Want more burrito/taco fillings?
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Sheet Pan Vegan Chik'n Burritos
For the Tofu Chik'n
For the rest
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1-2 more tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 flour tortillas
- First, press your tofu. Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put a couple of heavy books or a cast iron pan on top of that. Let the tofu press for 20 minutes.
- While the tofu is pressing, de-seed and slice the bell peppers and prepare any other burrito fillings you want.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a large sheet pan (you could also line with parchment paper).
- Slice the tofu into about 6 thick slices. Now rip the tofu into bite sized pieces, not too small (about 1-2 inches) using your hands. You could simply cut the tofu into cubes, but ripping creates a more "chicken-like" texture.
- Add the ripped tofu pieces to a large ziplock bag, along with the olive oil (1 tbs), cornstarch, salt, chili powder and onion powder. Close the bag and shake gently to coat the tofu. Arrange the tofu on one half of the sheet pan.
- Arrange the sliced bell peppers on the other half of the pan, drizzle with a little more olive oil, if desired. Bake the tofu and peppers for about 30 minutes, stirring once at about 15 minutes.
- Serve in flour tortillas or in a burrito bowl with optional rice, beans, vegan sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa or vegan cheese. This serves about 3 regular servings or 2 large appetites. Double the recipe to serve a family of 4 or 5.
- Nutritional information is only for the tofu/pepper filling, and does not include tortillas or any additional fillings.
- You can skip pressing the tofu if you buy the super-firm tofu in the vaccum packed container, not the kind in water.
- Oil free: This recipe is easy to make oil free. Simply omit the oil from the tofu and use parchment paper instead of greasing the pan. Just watch the peppers carefully to make sure they don't burn in the oven.