Easy Chipotle Sofritas Recipe is a delicious copycat of the original! Flavorful and spicy but not overly so, these sofritas are the perfect addition to burrito bowls, tacos or burritos.
Ah sofritas. I remember how excited I was when Chipotle came out with their tofu sofritas. The vegetarian burrito bowl with black beans and guacamole was pretty darn tasty, but now a “meaty” vegan option? Score.
If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, sofritas is a dish made up of shredded or chopped small tofu that is braised, spicy and full of flavor. Chipotle sofritas are a bit saucy as well, and are a delicious addition to burritos bowls, burritos, tacos or salads.
I have tried making various recipes at home over the years, but none came out tasting all that great and they all called for roasting a poblano pepper and doing a million other steps I didn’t enjoy.
Okay, that might be dramatic, but I wanted to create a sofritas recipe that was easier than most, did NOT call for a charred pepper or frying your tofu, and that still tasted AMAZING.
How do you make Easy Chipotle Sofritas?
Start by preparing your tofu. You are going to prepare it like I do in my Vegan Butter Chicken recipe, so if you want to look at photos of the process, you can find it there. (PLUS, full instructions are in the recipe card below.) Basically, press your tofu, slice it, then rip it into large pieces. Coat with a tablespoon of oil, cornstarch and salt, and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Once it’s done baking, chop it up more and set aside. This process creates chewy, crispy tofu pieces that are heavenly!
To make the sauce: Add chipotle in adobo, adobo sauce, garlic, lemon juice, tomato paste, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup water to a food processor.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Add the sauce to a large pan and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Now add the chopped tofu and stir to coat. Pour in an additional 1/4-1/2 cup water to make it saucy, like Chipotles.
That’s it! Serve in bowls, burritos or tacos with black beans, rice, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes and lettuce. My Cashew Sour Cream goes great with this dish as well!
I hope you love this Sofritas Recipe! It’s:
- Easy to make, no need to roast a pepper!
- Healthy, nutritious and full of plant protein
- Spicy, but not overly so!
Want more vegan Mexican recipes?
- Sheet Pan Cauliflower Fajitas
- The Best Vegan Enchiladas
- Ultimate Fully Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Cheesy Quesadillas
Easy Chipotle Sofritas Recipe
For the tofu:
- Press the tofu: Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put a couple of heavy books on top of that. Let the tofu press for 20 minutes. (You can skip this step if you get the super firm variety)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the tofu into about 6 slices. Now, rip each slice into medium-large pieces. You can also simply cut them into cubes, if you prefer, but ripping gives the tofu a great texture.
- Add the tofu pieces to a large ziplock bag, along with the olive oil, cornstarch and salt. Close the bag, and shake gently to coat. Arrange the tofu evenly on the prepared pan, and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the tofu bakes, make the sauce: To a food processor (or blender), add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, garlic, lemon juice, tomato paste, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- When the tofu is done baking, chop it up into small pieces with a large knife. Set aside.
- Add the sauce to a large pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Now add the chopped tofu to the pan and stir to coat. Pour in another 1/4-1/2 cup of water to make it a little saucy, like Chipotles is.
- Serve in burrito bowls, burritos, tacos or salads as desired. Enjoy!