These Vegan Tacos are made with tofu taco “meat” that is baked to chewy, flavorful perfection! Easy to make and perfect for a quick, budget-friendly meal.
Your house is going to smell amazing while you make these vegan tacos! The tofu is crumbled and mixed with a flavorful sauce, then baked. And it smells SO GOOD while it bakes.
Tofu tacos have become my go-to vegan taco recipe lately because (1) they taste incredible and (2) they are super simple to make. There’s only about 15 minutes of hands on time, and that includes preparing any optional taco fillings like chopping lettuce, cilantro, onions and even making Vegan Sour Cream. I have a few other vegan taco recipes on my site: Jackfruit Carnitas tacos and the amazing Cauliflower Tacos. Also totally worth making on a regular basis if you haven’t already!
How to make vegan tacos with tofu:
You are going to love how easy these tacos are to make! (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR FULL INGREDIENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS)
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients -olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. It will be like a paste.
Next, crumble the tofu into the bowl with the paste, then mix well. Spread it evenly on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes. Give it a little stir, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the tofu is crispy in places and chewy.
That’s it! Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
What to put in vegan tacos:
You can put the tofu taco “meat” in corn or flour tortillas (even crunchy if you want).
Vegan Taco topping ideas:
- Salsa (Restaurant Style Salsa is the best!)
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Non-dairy cheese shreds
- Vegan Sour Cream
Can the tacos be made gluten free? As long as you use corn tortillas, and gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce, these tacos are gluten free.
Can they be made without oil? Yes! There is only 1 tablespoon of olive oil called for in the sauce, and while it does help the tofu get a bit crispy and chewier, they will still turn out well without it.
How long will the tofu taco meat keep? It will keep in a covered container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. I haven’t tried freezing it, and I don’t think it would work.
Want more vegan mexican recipes?
- Easy Chipotle Sofritas
- The Best Vegan Enchiladas
- Sheet Pan Cauliflower Fajitas
- Ultimate Fully Loaded Vegan Nachos
- Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas
- Vegan Burritos
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Vegan Tacos with Tofu
Tofu Taco "Meat"
- 8-10 small corn or flour tortillas
- Optional: Vegan Sour Cream
- Optional: salsa, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, non-dairy cheese shreds, shredded lettuce, cilantro
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. Now crumble the tofu into the bowl with your hands, and mix together using a large spoon until well combined with the paste.
- Spread the tofu mixture evenly in the parchment lined pan. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then give it a little stir and bake for 15-20 more minutes, until the tofu is golden, crispy in places and chewy.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately in corn/flour tortillas with desired toppings.
- I usually double the recipe for my family of 5. If you double the recipe, the tofu will take longer to cook, more like 40-45 minutes.
- Tofu taco "meat" will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I don't recommend freezing it.
- For gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce and corn tortillas.
- For oil free, simply omit the tablespoon of olive oil.
- Calories are for 1/4th of the tofu taco "meat" only. Calories will vary based on your tortillas and toppings.