Vegan Tofu Tacos are easy to make using crispy baked tofu, flavorful Mexican seasonings, and lots of toppings. No marinating or pressing the tofu required!
Ready to get dinner on the table fast? Then try these plant based Tofu Tacos! Made with a chewy and flavorful baked tofu “meat”, this Mexican-inspired vegan taco filling pairs well with all of your favorite toppings, is a perfect fit for nachos, and is delicious inside of burritos.
The tofu “meat” in this recipe is a play on the seasoned ground beef you find in classic hardshell tacos. Crumbled extra firm tofu is seasoned in a smoky chili paste (somewhat similar to taco seasoning) and then baked to give you a chewy and tender meat substitute that is so deeply flavored. All you need are a handful of budget-friendly ingredients and seasonings, and just 15 minutes to get it going!
Just like my walnut and cauliflower taco meat and sofritas, the base of these tofu tacos is meaty, smoky, and delicious. Stuff the taco filling into tortillas, layer with avocado, vegan sour cream, and lettuce, then dig in!
Ingredients needed (with substitutions)
- Olive oil – May omit for oil free taco “meat”.
- Low sodium soy sauce – For gluten free, substitute gluten free tamari.
- Tomato paste – Adds a thickness to the sauce that coats the tofu.
- Maple syrup -Or agave.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Firm tofu – Extra-firm is fine as well. No need to press it first.
- Tortillas – You can use corn or flour tortillas here. Or serve in a taco salad or on Vegan Nachos instead!
How to make tofu tacos
Mix the olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and chili powder together in a bowl. Crumble the tofu over top and stir it into the paste.
Spread the tofu mixture over a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, stir, then bake for another 15 minutes. The tofu should be golden, crispy, and chewy when it’s done.
Serve the hot taco tofu meat in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings and rice and beans on the side.
Air fryer instructions
Making tofu taco meat in the air fryer should speed up the process a bit and help it crisp up. To do so, place the tofu mixture in an even layer in the air fryer basket (working in batches if you need to). Cook at 350ºF for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking the basket every so often.
Tofu taco toppings
Layer the tofu crumbles into corn or flour tortillas with all of your favorite toppings! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Salsa (Restaurant Style Salsa is the best!)
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Avocado salsa
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Vegan sour cream
More ways to use tofu taco meat
On nachos with cheese sauce, mixed into vegan queso, in enchiladas or quesadillas, as a base in all of your favorite vegan taco recipes, in a vegan breakfast hash, stuffed into sweet potatoes, in a grain bowl or burrito bowl, and so much more!
- Gluten free – As long as you use corn tortillas and gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce, these tacos are gluten free.
- Spicy tacos – Stir a pinch of cayenne or your favorite hot sauce into the paste to add a bit of heat to the tofu “meat”.
- Oil free – The 1 tablespoon of olive oil in this recipe does help the tofu get a bit crispy and chewier, but you can leave it out if you want.
- Add-ins – Feel free to stir cooked black beans, pinto beans, corn, or lentils into the tofu crumbles after baking.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I have to press the tofu first? It isn’t necessary for this recipe. Just crumble the unpressed tofu right into the bowl with the paste and you’re good to go!
- Why is my tofu not crispy? Make sure to only stir the tofu once as it’s baking so it has a chance to get nice and crispy in some spots. If you want it even crispier, use the air fryer method or turn the heat up to 375ºF.
- How to store taco filling – Keep leftover tofu meat in a covered container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Can I freeze it? You can freeze it if needed, but it’s much better fresh. Reheat in the oven until crispy for best results.
Looking for more vegan Mexican-inspired recipes?
- Vegan Carne Asada
- Cauliflower Fajita Bowl
- The Best Vegan Enchiladas
- Vegan Queso Blanco
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
Tofu Taco "Meat"
- 8-10 small corn or flour tortillas
- Optional: Vegan Sour Cream
- Optional: salsa, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, non-dairy cheese shreds, shredded lettuce, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. Now crumble the tofu into the bowl with your hands, and mix together using a large spoon until well combined with the paste.
- Spread the tofu mixture evenly in the parchment lined pan. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then give it a little stir and bake for 15-20 more minutes, until the tofu is golden, crispy in places and chewy.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately in corn/flour tortillas with desired toppings.
- I usually double the recipe for my family of 5. If you double the recipe, the tofu will take longer to cook, more like 40-45 minutes.
- Tofu taco “meat” will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. It freezes okay if needed.
- For gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce and corn tortillas.
- Calories are for 1/4th of the tofu taco “meat” only. Calories will vary based on your tortillas and toppings.
This recipe was originally posted in September 2019 and has been updated with improved photos and helpful information.