Learn how to make the best vegan avocado toast! It’s the perfect quick breakfast, lunch or snack that will keep you energized for hours. Additional topping ideas included!
Avocado toast is my go-to breakfast these days. I used to be a sweet breakfast person, eating only oatmeal with fruit, peanut butter toast or a green smoothie every morning. Then I gave avocado toast a try and never looked back! It is SO incredibly delicious, and I love how full and energized I am until lunch time.
If I happen to eat something else for breakfast (pancakes, waffles, tofu scramble, cinnamon rolls…) I will often eat avocado toast for lunch or an afternoon snack because I love it so much. Sometimes I add a bunch of veggies on top such as cucumber slices, tomato slices and sprouts.
Learn how to make simple avocado toast with me!
How to make vegan avocado toast
Start by toasting your bread of choice. I love sourdough bread, but often use sprouted bread as well. Use gluten free if you need to.
Then cut a ripe avocado in half, pit it, and slice it thinly. I use a small, sharp knife to slice it right in it’s shell. When your bread is done toasting, scoop out some of the avocado (about 1/4-1/2 of the avocado per slice of bread) and place it on top of the bread. Leave a few slices for topping the mashed avocado, if desired. This adds more texture to the toast, but is not necessary.
Mash it with a fork, right on top of the bread. This will only be difficult if your avocado is hard and not ripe. If your avocado is ripe and soft, there is no need to mash it in a separate bowl.
Once you have some avocado mashed onto the bread, add a few slices on top if desired.
All that’s left to do is season your avocado toast! To keep it simple, use salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste. So, so good.
Avocado toast needs to be eaten right away, or the avocado will start to brown and it won’t look appealing anymore.
Vegan avocado toast topping ideas
If you want to branch out and get creative, I have many ideas for you. I switch things up often depending on what my body is craving.
- Thinly sliced cucumbers
- Ripe tomato slices
- Everything Bagel Seasoning (from Trader Joe’s, love this option!)
- Chili Lime Seasoning (also from Trader Joe’s, my favorite)
- Tomato slices + drizzle of balsamic
- Salad toast: add cucumber, tomatoes and sprouts or chopped lettuce
- Chickpeas + seasonings
- Tofu Scramble
- Tempeh Bacon
- Vegan Parmesan
Want more savory vegan breakfasts?
Vegan Avocado Toast
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2-1 avocado
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Toast your bread.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and slice thinly (I do this with a knife right in the avocado shell). Scoop as much avocado as desired onto each slice of bread, and mash it with a fork right on the bread. Save a few slices for topping the mashed avocado, if desired.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for simple and delicious avocado toast, or try with a combination of the optional toppings listed. Some good combinations are avocado + cucumber + tomatoes + sprouts + chili lime seasoning/everything bagel seasoning OR avocado + tomato + drizzle balsamic.
- Devour and enjoy!
- Use whatever bread you like, gluten free if needed. I prefer sourdough bread, but I often use sprouted bread (Ezekial) as well for added protein and nutrition.
- Use as much or little avocado as you like. Depending on how hungry I am, sometimes I will use a whole avocado for 2 pieces of bread, but more often I used about 1/2 an avocado for 2 pieces of bread.
- Calories are an estimate only and were calculated using 2 pieces of sourdough bread and a whole average size avocado.